capping off old shower feed, advise please?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ColdEagle, Dec 7, 2017.

  1. ColdEagle

    ColdEagle New Member

    many thanks to the gents who kindly advised me with my kitchen tap, i would like to ask for some further advice please.

    i am looking at removing some excess metal pipework used to feed an over the bath shower which was removed prior to moving in. This looks to have been cut in to the cold feed to the bath and sink with a t.
    My main aim is to allow me to fit the bath panel flush - this extra pipe required it to be offset by quite a bit and a huge ugly gap.

    Where would be best to cap the pipe? just after that huge tap? my thinking is that the tap and my own capping would allow a double redundancy for any 'leaks'. however i read something about capping as close to the t as possible or using a right angle bend. also can anyone advise on what i use to cap it, would it be the same as blanking an appliance t? i am also unsure how to check which size i would need *embarrassed*.

    thank you very much

    IMG_20171204_194840.jpg IMG_20171204_194912.jpg IMG_20171207_151257.jpg
  2. Pollowick

    Pollowick Well-Known Member

    ColdEagle likes this.
  3. Isitreally

    Isitreally Well-Known Member

    Remove all pipe work and this T Piece

    2017-12-07 15.45.45.jpg

    Replace with this.

    ColdEagle likes this.
  4. ColdEagle

    ColdEagle New Member

    Thanks for the swift replies Gents, is there a way to know for sure it's 15mm pipe etc? As this is an old house and old copper pipe and I wouldn't be surprised if things didn't fit.
    I guess it's a safe bet with the newer silver pipework?

    And believe me if you saw the rest of the plumbing you'd think that awful tap is lovely! I agree even as a novice it's obvious some things shouldn't have been done.
  5. Pollowick

    Pollowick Well-Known Member

    15mm and 1/2" are compatible so there should not be a problem.

    You could do as Isitreaally's suggestion could work but that could constrict the flow and with the amount of pipe to play with you could have a difficult time. Isolation could be useful, but it does depend on how much work you want to do.
    ColdEagle likes this.
  6. ColdEagle

    ColdEagle New Member

    Oh perfect, thank you :) I'll see what my local store has in stock and go from there.

    E: can you explain how this would constrict flow? I'm curious and would like to understand.
  7. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

    It is the design of the valve, nothing else. It is a ball with a hole in it which is aligned with the two holes in the pipe when open. As you rotate the ball with a screwdriver you close the opening and stop the water. In an effort to keep the valve compact, the ball inside is smaller than the body and it is that which restricts the flow. You can get 'full bore' isolating valves which, as their name suggests, do not restrict the flow but are larger and more expensive (but only a couple of quid or so). Given that you have to turn the water off anyway you might as fit one so long as there is sufficient play in the flexi hose.

Share This Page