capping

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by scanner, Jul 30, 2004.

1. scanner

scanner New Member

hi all dose any 1 put capping over 1.5-2.5mm twin runing down wall have had a look in regs and on site book's and it say's yes if not running witin 150mm from top & 150mm from bottom of wall or partion's but i have spoken to a friend who is niceic and he says you have to is this just good practice or is it a daft nic reg. also have worked with plaster's in past and they also say you have to
    dose any one out there do this all reply's welcome ant thankyou all.

2. tellondon

tellondon New Member

Look it up on here mate under `capping` it is probably one of the most debated posts on here
    Basically there are designated routes to run cables if your not in these routes you need to bury the cable 50mm deep or in metal conduit, plastic capping is only used to protect the cable from plastering and doesn't really offer any mechanical protection

3. scanner

scanner New Member

dose any else use it onhere all reply's welcome thanks

4. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

Been using capping for a long, long time and dont see any reason to stop. Yes it costs a bit more, but I believe that its a better job when used.

5. dingbat

dingbat New Member

It's also a damned sight better than letting the spreads slice through your sheathing and it's a lot easier to plaster over than cable clips. Plus, I'm always grateful for thoughtfully capped switch drops when I can pull new cable through for a rewire. (I always turn over the ends too, so there are no sharp edges to worry about. Not a requirement, just good practice)

6. Ahr35181

Ahr35181 New Member

Any wiring outside the zones needs to be in earthed metal conduit. Wiring within the zones including vertical / horizontal runs to accessories (as long as the cables are more than 50mm from the other side of the wall) should be protected with plastic capping. The capping simply prevents the plasterer from damaging the cables.

7. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Yeh I use it.
    Makes all the first fix look finished and really neat.
    I then ask for the first fix money and can be farely confident that when I return for the 2nd fix after plastering, the wiring hasnt been knocked about or pulled out of the switch.
    Cable clips come out too easy.

8. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

My pet-hate job capping but I al,wsy use the plastic capping in vert/horiz runs and for the full length and only use metal capping if, on the very rare occassion, have to put cables offline or at angle.

I just wish there were better things than capping nails to fix - they are a P.I.T.A

RR

9. mskelec

mskelec New Member

My pet-hate job capping but I al,wsy use the plastic
    capping in vert/horiz runs and for the full length
    and only use metal capping if, on the very rare
    occassion, have to put cables offline or at angle.

I just wish there were better things than capping
    nails to fix - they are a P.I.T.A

RR

but metal capping offers no further protection than plastic.

and try using pin plugs, a pain in the ***, but worth it. of course, thats only if you're struggling to get a hold in hard materials. if its soft then, um, araldite?