Car recommendations?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Marc Berry, Sep 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM.

1. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Hi all

We have had an Astra estate, 59 reg, for about 8 years now from nearly new. It had 30k on when we got it but now it's at 75k so we have only averaged about 4-5kpa so i guess it's good on that front but there is some noise on start up tick over so I'm thinking it may be time for a new (used) one.

I like the look of the new Astra estate and the Citroen grand c4.

Any suggestions guys? Budget between £9k and £12k, ideally under 2 years old and under 25k mileage.

Cheers, Marc

2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Any car with a Japanese badge on it!

3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Have a look at Seat Leon, had two over the last six years. Highly rated by Auto Express and a category winner for several years on the trot.

4. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

Cheers guys. Needs to be an estate or something like 6-7 seater that you can hide the seats for the extra space like the Citroen grand c4.

Does the seat come with an estate version? Japanese, possibly a Toyota or mitsubishi?

5. Mmouse

Mmouse New Member

I was put off Japanese cars in the 70s when I owned a Datsun that developed gearbox problems and parts were not available, apparently a large cargo plane carrying spares for the gearboxes blew up in the sky over a small village, the villagers to this day remember it raining Datsun cogs

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Good grief keep the Astra. I will be good for 120k mileage.

What’s the start up noise? What engine? They are pretty robust and cheap to run

7. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

I spoke to a mechanic and due to the rattling when i lightly press the clutch pedal, he thinks it is a component of the clutch which although cheap, the labour cost is high as it needs the clutch out.
    As we've already spent £500 this year at the garage on it, we're loath to spend more keeping it on the road.

8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Have a look at some of the scrappage schemes. There may still be some barmy offers out there like my son got nearly £6k off a new Mazda 3 last year by taking in his clapped out Focus.

Sparkielev likes this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Ford Modeo, cheap as chips, go forever.

10. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Ford myself.
    From what I hear from mechanics, the Fords have come a long way.
    I do trust Japanese mechanicals though.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with *** cars and Toyota Corollas last forever but I've had Modeo's or Focus's for the last 15 years and they've rarely broken down.

12. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

I have had Ford and Toyota cars and must say Toyota has been excellent for reliability. So good that I wonder if a Lexus (luxury Toyota brand) would be a safe bet as a used car. The Fords have become very well built, as have a lot of French cars.
    It seems most cars are now built to a very similar high standard.
    I hear of German brands having engine and gearbox serious problems and also see a lot of German cars with rust on bodywork

13. Marc Berry

Marc Berry Member

cheers guys, i'll take a look at those options.