Car tyres and punctures

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Jan 6, 2019.

1. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has experienced it - the number of punctures on car tyres increasing ? Our Seat Leon has done just under 40,000 miles in the last 20 months and we have never had a car so prone to punctures.

Anybody else noticed this ?

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Active Member

There’s a place in Luton that advertises they do “puncher repairs”.

3. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Not had one in ages but have had more than one in given year. Just unlucky I guess. Maybe you won't have any this year. Nothing you can do to prevent it

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

Mrs has a A3 and reckon had 4 last year but put it down to her kerbing it, please don't say I've been wrong

5. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

That's the hospital!:D

6. Astramax

Not surprised, have you not noticed the state and condition of the roads all over the country. Believe it's goes by the name of 'Austerity'! :(

7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Active Member

The average tyre width is increasing.

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

More likely to get a puncture in the wet.
    RS

SteveMJ likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

My wife is terrible for kerbing the car not only when parking but turning in and out of junctions as well :oops:

It is the amount of metal; bits of nails,screws, tin, wire etc. that are causing the problems. Wife went out shopping today and on her return the back end was right down. Of course no spare wheel only a puncture repair kit.

10. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

That's only if the car has a boxer engine!

11. Astramax

A flat floor...boom, boom!:D

RolandK likes this.
  12. dinkydo

dinkydo Active Member

Car related but nothing to do with punctures, I have a year old Skoda Diesel, and have recently found out that the if you were to run out of fuel the 5 litre fuel containers supplied by car accessory shops are useless, the spout on them will not fit the car, something to do with the anti miss fuelling device on the car,

13. longboat

longboat Well-Known Member

They should have provided an adaptor funnel for this scenario. Maybe check the owners manual for help.
    Other manufacturers with an anti-miss fueling device fitted do have these.

dinkydo likes this.
  14. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

The worst car I had for punctures was one on run flat tyres (BMW Z4). When I first got it I had 4 punctures over a 9 mth period. No spare of course as you had to drive to nearest tyre depot to either get the puncture fixed or tyre replaced. In my case none of the punctures were repairable, alledgedly. If I recall the tyres were around £200 - £250 a go back then! My how I laughed!

Heat and longboat like this.
  15. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Only ever had 1 puncture in my van and 4 on my motorbike, 1 front 3 rear. :(

16. dinkydo

dinkydo Active Member

No adapter had been provided Longs and I can’t reference it in the manual either, a look on the internet does throw up the mention of it but not how you overcome the problem, so if anyone can provide a link that I have missed I would be gratefull, my car by the way is a Skoda Kodiaq, my brother in law has a 2 year old ford and when I mentioned it to him he checked and he would have the same problem, he didn’t buy it from new and as far as he can tell he has no adapter

I suppose I can always contact Skoda & see what they have to say

17. Isitreally

719lnKDf3aL._SY606_.jpg

;);)

18. dinkydo

dinkydo Active Member

The puncture repair kits I know from experience are next to useless, I will not drive around in a car now unless it has a spare, skinny or otherwise

retiredsparks likes this.
  19. dinkydo

dinkydo Active Member

Isit the problem is the pointy bit won’t push past a steel flap in the filler neck on the car, the steel filler pipe at the fuel station releases a catch that allows you to fill up

20. Isitreally

Never come across that before on any car, though never tried filling a Skoda with fuel, (doesn't that double the value :p:p:p)