Carlite finish going off like a rocket.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nakedterry, Nov 7, 2005.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Not a pro but a decent DIYer........

I mixed up some carlite finish plaster to skim over some bonding yesterday and it went on fine (I gave the bonding a good soaking first, no PVA). However it seemed to go off in minutes. The stuff in the bucket was still loose but the stuff on the wall was almost unworkable in minutes. I did manage to get a smooth finish with water and a sponge , but only just.

Why is that?

I wanted to use this stuff to do some skimming on other rooms but I dont think I will if there is no time to smooth it out.

Any ideas?

2. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

Most plasterers who have done work for me do the base coats and skim coats on the same day. The reason behind that methodology is that because the bonding is already damp, it don't suck up as much water. However, when it's dry, it is very porous and will suck water out of any applied finishes like a prossie on steroids.

Don't know the solution I'm afraid, apart from putting on another bonding coat? I'm sure the lads on here will know far better than me. Good luck...

3. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

Hi,

I would have to agree with what has already been said above. You can always apply some diluted PVA before applying the skim coat to prevent the surface underneath from sucking out the moisture.

ultimatehandyman

4. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Thanks guys, I had figured as much but I didnt want to use PVA due to the amount of grief some get about it.

By the way cheers UHM - I actually learned how to do plastering off your site. Im gonna tackle a bigger wall and see how I get on.

Thanks.

5. ­

­ New Member

Yes, the dreaded pva may be needed. When my plasterer uses Browning/Bonding/Hardwall as a backing coat he always sets (top coats) these walls on the same day. If, for some reason, he cannot finish the walls then he has to apply a weak pva/water solution to the dry backing coat and this holds back the suction.

It's even worse if there's a weekend between backing coat and finish coat.

Pva 25% water 75% mix seems to be what he uses. He puts it on with a big roller.

6. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

Hi nakedterry,

You are welcome!

I'm really glad that you have learned something from my site. Learning to plaster like a professional is never going to be acheived by reading a book or a website, but at least you have attemped it and are willing to try a larger project-Well done!

I have just seen some "learn to plaster DVD's" at £47.00 each, what a rip off!

You have made my day now!

Good luck with the rest of the plastering!

ultimatehandyman