Carpenters advise (Military to Civi)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Tom_30, Mar 25, 2021.

  1. Tom_30

    Tom_30 New Member

    Hello Members,

    Introduction: currently serving Military (para) based in south Wales, leaving towards the end of this year.
    Topic: Transitioning from now to qualified Carpenter (what qualifications are needed)

    To all non military i'm currently in a process of leaving the armed forces and with that depending on how long you've done determines what your entitled too, my case 7 years= 3k towards a course of my choosing. However anyone that has been in my shoes will know that its not that simple as the military have cracked down on colleges and has to be "an approved vendor" or you can't use your resettlement money there.

    Unfortunately my options are very small,
    1. pay 3.5k out of my own money to do a intense course around 6-8 weeks in south wales
    2. use my resettlement at the only company that is approved miles away and is only 4 weeks long which is pointless
    3. wait till Sep and go to college and do a C&G level 2 diploma

    My Skills: Highly Practical qualified in basic electrics (not an electrician by any means but am 18th edition and part p qualed), took my hand to plastering, single handily carried out a full renovation on my first property making 30k by using my knowledge using only plumbers for trades.

    Summary: All I want is to start a new career in Carpentry, and would appreciate any advice from any professional trades men or women out there on how to go about getting the right qualifications to actually get a job in this profession.

    Also anyone that is based in south wales especially Bridgend and wants to take me on part time or what ever suits you that would incredible.

    Thanks for reading.
  2. Jord86

    Jord86 Screwfix Select

    Do not pay a penny towards any training scheme that says they'll qualify you in four, six, eight or even twelve weeks, it's all lies and worthless horse*. If your hearts set on doing it you would be better off using some of your money to buy some start up tools then phone around companies to try to get a start, the nvq's can wait until you're more proficient and will fly through them rather than wasting days where you could be earning. By the time you get to a decent standard you can pay for the assessor to attend site and observe you work to get your nvq's, but take it from me the qualifications mean bugger all, you can either do the job or you can't, no bit of paper is a substitute.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2021
    longboat and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. Tom_30

    Tom_30 New Member

    Jord86 I really appreciate your advise as I share the same logic as you.

    cheers mate.
  4. Jord86

    Jord86 Screwfix Select

    Are you looking to go on new build sites or private domestic builds?
    Tom_30 likes this.
  5. chillimonster

    chillimonster Screwfix Select

    Shame to let the Part P disappear. very hard to rejoin without an
    established spark's help.
    Tom_30 likes this.
  6. Tom_30

    Tom_30 New Member

    I would like to go towards the domestic route but I'm not going to be picky at this early stage. With the new build route I think getting the right CSCS cards would be a must then it falls on whether they'll take on someone with no qualifications/experience on site.
  7. Tom_30

    Tom_30 New Member

    Yes, it is a shame mate but to be brutally honest with you although I'm qualified (7 week intense course) I've only used my knowledge to do basic electrical repairs/spurs etc nothing overly complex and the Regs just baffle me with anything major but more importantly for me I get more enjoyment out of building with wood.
  8. ElecCEng

    ElecCEng Screwfix Select

    Hi Tom,

    I’d go for option 1.

    If you’re planning on a long training course you want to be close to home so you either pay out of your own pocket or move closer to where the grants will cover it. I’d go for the first and use the grant to cover things like the CSCS, health and safety, management courses etc. You have 5 years or so to use some of the grant if what i’m told is right, so you may need some other qualification in the future.

    Most people I know who left the forces did so for family stability so no point spending all your retirement away from home!

    Good luck
    Tom_30 likes this.
  9. Tom_30

    Tom_30 New Member

    Cheers ElecCEng, you've hit the nail on head with your observations regarding family stability.

    I've not considered the grant towards CSCS and H&S etc but I will now.
    You are correct in saying you have 5 years to use your grant.

    Thanks for for sharing your suggestions.
  10. Jord86

    Jord86 Screwfix Select

    I would phone around some of the building/carpentry contractors in your area or those who cover your area if I was you and see if there's an opening, R&M Williams do a lot of refurbishments and commercial work, Castle Carpentry do new builds, there was a firm in Bridgend called Derwood homes who I assume are still trading, you'll never know unless you pick the phone up, not even counting all the contractors closer to Cardiff than Bridgend.
    Tom_30 likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice