Carpenters pencils

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Guy, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Guy

Guy Member

Can anybody please tell me why carpenters pencils are square?
    Is it something to do with sawing to one side of the line.
    Excuse my ingorance, but I'm not a carpenter, I'm just interested.

Thanks.

2. Thermo

Thermo New Member

so it fits behind your ear and doesnt fall off!

3. im a martian

im a martian New Member

is it so it don't roll off your bench?

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

well it could be so that martians can use em as they only have 3 fingers and ears stick up out of their head so they wont roll off LOL

5. Guy

Guy Member

Thermo,

I am assuming you are kidding?

6. Thermo

Thermo New Member

No!! try it!

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

8. Guy

Guy Member

Dewy,

Good man. Thanks.

9. supersparky

supersparky New Member

dewy....Carpenter's pencils actually make up a very small part of my pencil collection - I have a few dozen or so.
    what a sad bastered that is in that link!!!! he even gives the dimentions of a pencil!!! please tell me that people dont realy collect pencils! c'mon, everyman to his own and everything but that takes the p*ss!!!

ss

10. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Some collect good tools. Unfortunately someone go below stamp collectors & saves pencils.

11. supersparky

supersparky New Member

well........im not sure what to say, stamp collecting is the type of thing that old ladys do....and its ok for them....but any one under 60.......is a total sad case.......right im off to have a look at my collection of rawplugs! excuse me gentlemen!
    ]:)

SS

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Would that be the plastic rawlplugs or the old fibre type? hehe

13. supersparky

supersparky New Member

oh has to be the new plastic, my excuse for this sad hobby is "they will be worth something someday"
    RIGHT! ENOUGH OF THAT!

but, i wish i had saved all the old bakerlite acsessorys that i come across, apparently they are worth money now....or so ive been told!

SS

14. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I'd better replace all my 5 & 15 amp plugs & sockets then plus the double outlet light sockets where I plug the iron in. See I am modern. I got a electric iron. :)

15. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

right u muppets,chippys pencils r not square they r rectangular :) and i wood never use one, give me a 2h pencil anyday,one without a rubber on end.

16. Dewy

Dewy New Member

We were always told to use a soft pencil for marking the face side & edge & a 4H for marking out or darkening the lines made with the marking or mortice gauge. Also to sharpen pencils on one side only with a good sharp chisel.

17. im a martian

im a martian New Member

was that back in the 50's? lol !! ;)

18. kesh

kesh New Member

Talking of pencils, does anyone know of a supplier of "chinagraph" ones, I use them for marking glazed tiles, but I've only got a stub of 1 1/2" left! Smiths don't sell them anymore!:(

19. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Too right it was. That was the teddy boy era. The 1st generation that refused to wear smaller versions of parents clothes & took to rock & roll with a passion.

20. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Have you got a stationary supplier locally kesh? I havent had a chna graph for years. The only speciality stationer we had here sold out to a pub/nightclub chain.