Carpenters pencils

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Guy, Jan 16, 2004.

1. kesh

kesh New Member

Tried them all! It seems to me that no-one stocks them anymore.

2. im a martian

im a martian New Member

Kesh try the wife's lippy !!!

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

A mate of mine used to use them for marking glass for engraving. He split with his wife a year ago & took up with a young lady & moved to the west coast of America so I cant find out his supplier. Lucky sod.

4. kesh

kesh New Member

"Kesh try the wife's lippy !!! "

You ain't met my missus - obviously!

5. im a martian

im a martian New Member

No we didn't introduce ourselves, the light was off !!!
    (only kidding)

but i bet mine is scarier (not kidding!!!)

6. kesh

kesh New Member

LOL, I asked for that!

7. im a martian

im a martian New Member

Lol !!
    But can you believe 26 replies on a question about pencils?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

and still got loads of lead in mine. :)

9. Dewy

Dewy New Member

If its ONE reply for each pencil in that collection, this topic will go on for months. lmao

10. WOLF

WOLF New Member

KESH, dear chap, chinagraph pencils did you say, well then, PAPERMATE still manufacture one, it's actually as follows..

SANFORD PEEL-OFF CHINA MARKERS: £14.30p FOR A PACK OF 12..COLOURS ARE BLACK,BLUE,RED,YELLOW AND WHITE:

QUOTE::Wax china marker,ideal for working on glass,ceramic tiles, smooth plastics and other glossy surfaces:
    Easy to sharpen by pulling a fine cord to unwrap a new section of wax core:

we buy them from a company called ANTLER OFFICE SUPPLIES
    on 01322-613229 mail order available:

contrary to popular belief, in an old carpentry/joinery/cabinet makers manual circa 1898, (that is one of my prized possesions,) it states that the marking device, namely the carpenters pencil, is shaped thus(refering to illustration)so that a nice wide chiselpoint can be achieved so as can be applied to render a nice distinct line when laying out the cuts to be performed.it also has another function in that the lead centre will not wear down as quickly as a standard lead/pencil impliment will do!
    and how many off you aspiring chippies/cabinet makers, will go over any scribed line in hard/dark woods with a white pencil..??
    regards matt

11. bodget&scarpers

like a scene from topgun er (old movie with tom cruise) *** wolfs around, thought ud b in bed,by now. could never get on with fat pencil, and always nick the kids pencil sharpeners out of their bags b 4 school:-( , happy new year 2 u wolf.x

[Edited by: admin]

12. bilco

bilco New Member

Hi Kesh

You can get your pencils from craft/artist supplies

13. WOLF

WOLF New Member

good movie that was!!!! mega on the ol' surround sound, hacked off neighbours though!!!!!
    and a happy new year to you to B&S, dear chap!!
    regards matt

14. Thermo

Thermo New Member

He He, seeing the line about lead in the pencil reminds me of a great one liner my father came out with in reply to my mother when she asked if he still had lead in his pencil. He sat across the dinner table and smartlty replied "the question is not wether i have enough lead in my pencil, but wether you can still get your pencil case open!" At that point i sprayed the mouthful of dinner i was eating across the dinner table in uncontrollable laughter!

15. WOLF

WOLF New Member

absolutely perfect, what a card your dad must be!!!!
    LOL :)

16. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Kesh, as bilco says, art/craft shop. Ask for a stabilo "all" 8046. I use them all the time for marking laminated tide tables!!!

Cheers, Marky

I flippin posted this on the wrong thread, sorry coggy, probably think I'm mad, nite nite now

17. CDRW

CDRW New Member

Axminster (www.axminster.co.uk) have LYRA Glass Pencils at £2.63 for a pack of 5.

18. WOLF

WOLF New Member

glass pencils eh?? i would not like to drop one, it would shatter!!!!!!a bugger to sharpen as well

19. WOLF

WOLF New Member

OI!!!! MURDERATOR!! i do wish that you would buy a ruddy DI*-SHON-HAIRY....please!!!! i am getting feed up of this over zealous inter-jection ith the original QUEEN'S ENGLISH........B-U-G-G-E-R means as follows, exhuasted,to ruin, a specific type of person!!!!! etc: it is only recently(last 10-15yrs) that the Q's ENGLISH has been b*******d by deroggetory words creeping in !!!!!!
    SO STOP IT!!!!

[Edited by: admin]

20. bodget&scarpers

Ships
    Holidays
    Ideas
    Tips
    Igloos
    No
    Golf

Help