Carpet in new build

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Wo5za84, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Wo5za84

Wo5za84 New Member

57B9418D-4667-4CF8-AA97-EFAC4A0CD01C.jpeg Hi all,

After some advice from a carpet fitter.

We are in the process of buying a new build bungalow. There is a kitchen/dinner/living area and one carpet across the living/dining part.
    There is a visible join in the carpet, is this normal/acceptable as it’s a large piece of carpet?

I’ve attached a photo. Any help would be appreciated as building company are fobbing off.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've "seen" joins in carpet that are invisible.

3. Martyn21uk

Martyn21uk Member

A join may sometimes be unavoidable in a large space as carpet only comes so wide. But then how much you notice the join comes down to two things. The planning and the fitting.

So lets start with the planning. Carpet is normally 4 metres wide but can be 5 metres wide. So take a look at your room there, what is the width (or length) of the room? Is it possible to be done in one piece or does it NEED To be 2 pieces with a join. When planning a carpet fitting, the planner will effectively lay out all of the rooms on top of the roll of carpet to work out how much length he needs to order. It can be cost cutting to have an extra join in a room to avoid waste on the roll of carpet being used. So if your room is no wider than 5 metres wide, they didn't NEED to have a join but probably did so to save waste on the carpet and thus money. Next is to decide where the join will go. You want it to be somewhere that is low traffic and also where it isn't going to get a mass of natural light flowing over it which can help to show the join. So in your example, is the join in the most logical place? Without us seeing the full plans and layout, it is impossible to tell. Next is to ensure both pieces of carpet used there have the pile running in the same direction. Have a feel with your hand running along. If one has the pile 90 degrees to the other it will show up more in the light and again has been done to save waste and therefore cost of the carpet.

Then you are onto the fitting. Is the join exactly as was planned? If not then something has gone wrong during the fitting process and the fitters have bodged it to make it work. If the join is in the right place and as planned with the pile running the same way and the best location for traffic and light then it should be possible to get a near invisible join (which you clearly don't have). So if that is the case then this points to the fitter. Maybe he let his son do it whilst he was having a ciggie or it was a low budget fitting and he didn't have the time to do it properly.

Hope the above helps you progress this somewhat. The join in the picture is far from ideal but it is important to try and trace back to what has caused it (bad planning or bad fitting) and what drove it (a mistake, cost cutting or bad workmanship).

If you do end up having it replaced, be aware that different batches of carpet can have a difference in colour. So carpet xyz ordered today will be from a different roll than the same carpet 2 months ago. So if you have any through lounges or other joins, look out for slight colour differences there as well when yours is replaced (or highlight you won't accept it beforehand).

Good luck!

By the way, I am not a carpet fitter but used to manage the carpet department in what was then the 3rd largest department store in the country so dealt with all of this quite a lot. Happy to answer anything else you have or expand on any of my points further if you want.

4. Wo5za84

Wo5za84 New Member

Thank you for such a thorough response! I didn’t think I’d get anything that detailed and informative. When I flagged this with the building company they just said ‘there’s not much that can be done as this is just how it’s been fitted’.

I’m not happy with this response and now armed with the info you’ve provided me I will be back on to them to sort it.

I will keep you posted.

Many Thanks

Martyn21uk likes this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Nor did I tbh. Great reply. Good luck with it.

Martyn21uk likes this.
  6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Great response.

I think key is whether there needed to be a join in such an obvious place

If there didnt need to be then stand you ground.

The "its the way it was fitted" line is donkey doo doo.

Martyn21uk likes this.
  7. Martyn21uk

Martyn21uk Member

Ultimately it is hard to tell from the picture but if that is set into an alcove and is likely to be mostly covered by furniture then it may well be acceptable to have the join there and it just boils down to the fact that it could have been done a bit better. In that scenario, if you were paying Carpetright and ended up with that, I would be looking to get some money back rather than having the whole lot re-done.

Let us know how you get on though!

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Carpetright. Say no more.

I dont use them any more.
    Found a good couple of guys who now have my business.

9. Martyn21uk

Martyn21uk Member

I don't think this is from Carpetright. It seems to be a new build before the OP has taken possession. I was just using that as an example if you were the direct customer from a high street shop. It is a bit more complicated here as the OP isn't the direct client to the carpet fitter/supplier.