Carpet laying and underlay advice for treehouse

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Si Stav, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Si Stav

Si Stav New Member

Hi I’m looking for advise on carpeting a 5m2 floor in our treehouse. I have carpet but wondering what underlay to use. The floor wood beams, seems to be simple 2x1” screwed down onto the wooden subframe. No skirting boards - the walls are large mdf sheets screwed to the subframe behind. I’m not precious about sound/heat insulation so looking for advice on whether to bother with underlay at all - what would you recommend and where could I buy it?
    Some guides also suggest a lining sheet as well, is this necessary for an outdoor treehouse?
    I’ve got a carpet stretcher tool on order and going to pick up some grippers too. many thanks for any advice!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Treehouse? :) That’s a new one. It depends on the style, size and whether you have full headroom to walk about but I’d be a fan of keeping the floor a timber finish with a good varnish and utilising a few rugs. If you’re going to use the carpet though then yes I would use an underlay, pointless not to really, though I don’t know if you could get any from the shops at the moment.

Si Stav likes this.
  3. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

Agree with Jord86 about the wooden floors with rugs! However I believe tradepriced.co uk are still shipping. I've used them a few times during our house renovations. Worth a look if you def want to go down the carpet route.

Si Stav likes this.
  4. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member