Cascamite.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by billfromarran, Nov 24, 2021 at 6:40 PM.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

Is there a trick to mixing this stuff? I mix as the instructions but when the joint dries am left with 2 bits of wood with powder between.

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I usually use a 3:1 powder to water mix. Bear in mind though, that the joint can take anything up to 3 days to set if the temperature's below 10 degrees C. Almost all cross-linking glues (e.g. Titebond 3) are completely unusable in cold weather - you're better off using a PU glue, which will be unaffected by low temperatures.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Data sheet says 2 - 3.5 powder to 1 water so Butch is circa in middle with his preferred mix ratio. Good advice offered re Titebond 3 also.:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 8:07 PM
  4. billfromarran

That is the mix ratio I am using but I can't seem to get the right consistency,ie gloopy and sticky. The workshop is warm so temp.is not the problem. Will try again tomorrow.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it an old batch.......Cascamite apparently has a shelf life.

woodbutcherbower likes this.
  6. woodbutcherbower

Quite true Max. Once the powder's been exposed to air, it deteriorates very quickly. I don't use it much these days, but I've always bought it in 1-kilo resealable bags - just dive in, dig out what you need, and then get it sealed back up and airtight again as fast as possible. The only tip I can suggest for mixing, Bill, is to treat it like making custard from old-fashioned powder. Add small amounts of water to the powder, and keep mixing until it becomes mobile and lump-free. Then continue adding small amounts of water until you get the consistency how you'd like it - just don't go too thin. I've found over the years that the exact powder/water ratio isn't massively critical - the key is to get the joint clamped up as tight as possible and then left well alone for at least 24 hours. Get rid of any squeeze-out straightaway with a damp cloth- it sets like glass and is a pain to remove afterwards. Hope that helps.

7. billfromarran

Thanks gents. It is quite an old tub of stuff, although it has been sealed well but I think it is perhaps a good idea to dump it and get some new.
    I am using it to glue together an ash frame which needs to be pretty robust .

8. woodbutcherbower

Morris Traveller by any chance ?? :)