cast iron fence finials

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by xednim, Jul 6, 2019.

1. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

did anyone has tried to get custom cast iron finials to match your existing once?
    I've got the price but it look bit high to me- modeling is above 400 + VAT and each cast is bit above 20 + VAT

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look online for a Foundry near to you and they will cast a new finial using the old finial to form a mold and cast from that.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

even for the foundry that I have found I need to send original element, but entire process involves making some kind of template for casting, they can't just compress it in casting sand and voila, I thing there is more about driving away air bubbles when pouring melted steel
    I have asked at few companies, got prices only from 2 as there is no deal to make 50pcs as one off order and I heard similar story from second one- molding will cost more than casting itself

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo, along with the length.

They are known as railheads.

There are dozens of cast iron rail heads readily availble, a lot based on old patterns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Astramax likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nice :), what sort of cost KIAB?

6. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

yep, I know the second name for it and I believe that seen the picture that you have provided, those are ... different Capture11.JPG finials 2.JPG finials1.JPG

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just looked on ebay .................loads available from next to no money! :)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The ebay ones appear to originate from Poland so may be worth sourcing a Polish manufacturer direct. ;)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

All nicked for the war effort 75 years ago. :eek:

11. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

fhbrundle - my favorite online steel supplier! and yes have checked there as well

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  13. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I used to buy from Brooks Forgings and DC Iron.

14. robertpstubbs

Incidentally they are normally forged steel which can easily be welded, rather than actual cast iron.

Astramax likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can be mild steel or cast iron, but have see them done in alumimum.

17. robertpstubbs

How many do you have and how many do you need? Would it be feasible to cut them all off and replace with new ones of your choice? Alternatively could you move some around? It is common to have the centre ones in a panel in a bigger/ different style or to have alternating styles.

KIAB likes this.
  18. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

there is a Square in London, most of the railings have this type of heads and they runs around the garden, several is missing, I've got a client in there and on his fence is just couple, but no one will do 3 or 4 only, so I though that if I will order 40 I might ask neighbors if they are interested with replacing theirs, in total on the square I found 60 missing so got correction for 20 that some people won't do it
    so now after my researches if will need to pay circa 1300+ VAT use only few for my client and try to convince other neighbors for replacement where to get my money back will need to charge £35 each might create investment deposit at my workshop
    thx all for your help, and for the links especially for Britishsc and info that they do easy weldable cast- this is a nightmare where you have large piece and grey cast iron and trying to weld it without pre-heating and dedicated rods

19. robertpstubbs

Go out at 3am with a cordless grinder and find some.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go out in the dead of the night with a hacksaw & cut a few off another fence that match.:eek::D