Cast iron to clay soil pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by thepriceofreality, May 22, 2020 at 5:25 PM.

  1. thepriceofreality

    thepriceofreality New Member

    Hi all,

    How do I fix this?

    It's a cast iron soil pipe, feeding into a clay sewage pipe.

    Many thanks


    Attached Files:

  2. Abrickie

    Abrickie Well-Known Member

    The traditional way, with a mortar fillet ;)
    dobbie likes this.
  3. nigel willson

    nigel willson Screwfix Select

    As above
    dobbie likes this.
  4. thepriceofreality

    thepriceofreality New Member

    Thanks. Does it need sealing? Or does the mortar do an adequate job of sealing it?
  5. Abrickie

    Abrickie Well-Known Member

    Please refer to the two previous posts
  6. Bob Rathbone

    Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

    You could use a pan adaptor, but that would look terrible, but it would not leak. A better way would be to use a universal rubber adaptor with jubilee clips. But I am an electrician, a plumber would easily identify a suitable solution, mortar will not do the job as the coupler on the clay pipe is broken.
  7. ramseyman

    ramseyman Screwfix Select

    Because the flange is broken on the top of the clay pipe I would create a small wooden box to give in effect a shuttering around the pipe, stuff some horsehair (yes I've still got some!) or plastic into the bottom of the box to prevent mortar falling through into the clay pipe, then finish off with a 3 to 1 sharp sand to cement mortar mix, trowelled off so you end up with a small square of mortar say 250 by 250 by 150 angled down to look more acceptable.., Alternatively you could fit a cast iron to clay adaptor which would mean pushing the adaptor inside the clay pipe and getting the other end over the cast iron. If flexible enough you might manage it, unlikely, or cut the cast iron and fit a longer adaptor with jubilee clips. Still need to finish off with a bit of mortar.
  8. dobbie

    dobbie Screwfix Select

    Mortar or prompt is the correct way to do it the other two are bodges.

    Put a piece of hemp rope round the cast to centre up and then flaunch with mortar or prompt as stated by Abrickie and nigel.
    nigel willson and Abrickie like this.
  9. Abrickie

    Abrickie Well-Known Member

    Although I would like to see a video of trying to fit a rubber jubilee clip connector ;)
    dobbie likes this.
  10. dobbie

    dobbie Screwfix Select

    The only place they should be used is for connecting the radiators in vehicles, they are, and also look a total bodge when used for plumbing and drain work.
    nigel willson and Abrickie like this.

Share This Page