cavity insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by 12benny, Oct 13, 2009.

1. 12benny

12benny New Member

Is fibreglass still, typically, allowed in cavity walls? Or does it have to be solid sheet insulation, Thermalite,for instance?

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Thermalite are a manufacturer of aerated concrete blocks NOT insulation.......

Depending on the 'U' value required, new build cavity insulation can be rigid boards, (extruded polystyrene or polyeurethane, both of these partial fill) or mineral wool slab full fill.

Cavities can also be filled with blown insulation, either exfoliated fibre or polybead but you'd have to take further advice as to whether these options would comply with current building regs.

3. 12benny

12benny New Member

Thanks for the useful and detailed reply - i stand corrected on the thermalite: not thinking before speaking!

4. bobby loft

bobby loft New Member

if you are looking to save a few quid p and m insulation sell celotex/ecotherm seconds i re fit loads all the time and i have used these guys, the boards are seconds, damaged edges etc but nearly ever boards has to be cut so it does not matter one bit and they are about half the price of a new one, when you need about 20+ boards per loft that adds up to a few 100s, i found them thought ebay, think their name was pandminsulationseconds or something like that...

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you're going to put 7 similar posts up you should do a bit more research :)