CCTV cable routing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by furious_customer, Oct 12, 2018.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

I have bought a cheap 2 camera CCTV system that I would like to install so that it covers my driveway and back door of the house.

Looking on you-tube, I see that many installers fix plastic conduit to the outside of the building and run the cabling for the cameras inside this.

Is this the normal method? It's surely a serious compromise on the integrity of the system?

2. sparky steve

sparky steve New Member

It will be compromised when they attempt to/or break in wearing balaclavas! A local garage in my area was recently broken into by thieves wearing balaclavas.needless to say the cctv was useless as was impossible to identify them. Most important- it did not deter them from breaking in.

furious_customer likes this.
  3. furious_customer

My thinking is that if they steal my car I would at like least to see it disappear from the drive in a puff of smoke.
    Good point about the balaclavas though!

4. MrM

MrM Member

Speaking from experience, you'd be far better saving your money against CCTV systems and installing a rising bollard or two at the end of your drive, if it's your vehicle you wish to protect, or perhaps a decent security spot light.

Otherwise, you may as well put up dummy cameras, as if someone is going to break in, they'll do it, regardless of cameras.

5. furious_customer

Good point MrM, but too late because I bought it already :)
    To be fair it's only 60 quid for 2 HD cameras and an DVR from amazon - I wouldn't spend much more than that for the reasons you mentioned.

Plus I am a techo-junkie and love playing with new toys.

6. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Fit a tracker. I have one in my van. To protect my car it is fitted with a '04' plate and a Vauxhall badge.

7. furious_customer

So no chance of the car being nicked for use as a get-a-way car then?