Ceiling board alternative

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jrterror0, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jrterror0

Jrterror0 Member

Hi.
    We've just boarded the loft. However, the underside of the roof is exposed, having no underfelt installed. The result being , the 'torching' (lumps of mortar stuck to the battens) occasionally falls off making a mess. Does anyone have any ideas what to use instead of plaster boarding the roof trusses?
    Ta.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Depends how much effort and money you want to throw at it. Could use something like airtec double stapled to the rafters which will help insulate too.

wiggy likes this.
  3. Jrterror0

Jrterror0 Member

Hi Hans_25
    We don't want anything expensive. I wondered about a breathable membrane affixed to the underside of the rafters, perhaps a roofing felt, but still worry about ventilation. What is Airtec? Can you provide a link?
    I'm wondering about alternatives because it would get expensive boarding it with plasterboard.
    Thanks again.

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What Hans said, or builders paper, tyvek or similar would do the job

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

This is the stuff sold by our hosts, may be available cheaper elsewhere. I got my stuff when it was on offer so keep an eye out. https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-airtec-double-1-5-x-25m/50913#

You may want to consider putting some thick polythene sheeting or similar up first in case debris comes through, as the airtec stuff isn't that strong.

6. Jrterror0

Jrterror0 Member

Thanks.
    Would this type of product or polythene have any condensation implications.

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

That's a good question. It may well do, as the air inside the loft will be warmer and more moist and so moisture could condense on the airtec or whatever is there. On the plus side, any condensation will form on the inside of the loft so you'll see it.

8. QueensKing

QueensKing New Member

I've been looking at every thread I can find on this... and I still can't see why stapling up garden weed control fabric wouldn't be just the job. It's light, air and vapour permeable, cheap... nothing is going to rot... and will help in reducing the amount of dust that blows around the loft space... surely?
    Basically a dust sheet on the rafters? Also, it would help the insulation getting completely fouled up with dust and rubbish - surely that has an impact on its effectiveness?

Any reasons why not.. for the sake of £15 or so? Each thread has someone that thinks it's a terrible idea!