Ceiling light not working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Shackko2022, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Shackko2022

Shackko2022 New Member

Hi all

my ceiling light has suddenly stopped working it is controlled by 2 switches
    1 downstairs (dimmer switch) 2gang however the downstairs light is still working that is controlled by the same switch

2nd switch is a 3 gang and bother other lights on that switch are still working fine

would I be correct in thinking the issue is with the light fitting itself rather than either controlling switch?

hopefully this makes sense

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Bulb gone?

3. Shackko2022

Shackko2022 New Member

Nope, checked that

4. Ind spark

And nothings changed? Just stopped working out of the blue?

Are any of your mcbs off? You could have 2 circuits at the same switch.

You got any testers?

5. Shackko2022

Shackko2022 New Member

no nothings changed, I’ve tried the bulbs out of the light that won’t turn on in another light and they work fine, no mcbs all on all upstairs lights are on same circuit and no other issues
    this Is the type of light fitting I have I’m guessing it’s just a fault with that, just wondering if there potential it could be anything else
    I havnt got any testers to hand

Attached Files:

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Your info is a bit confusing ,you stated that a dimmer operates 2 different light fittings ? Do you mean you have a 2 gang dimmer switch ,one gang operates a downstairs light ok ,and the other gang operates the ceiling light that doesn't work ? If so I would suspect one gang of the dimmer has gone faulty

7. Shackko2022

Shackko2022 New Member

Sorry let me try and explain it better

The light that doesn’t work is on the landing upstairs - this light can be controlled from a 3 gang switch (that controls the faulty light, the bathroom light and a bathroom extractor fan)

The faulty light can also be controlled from a 2gang dimmer switch in the hallway (1 controls the faulty light and 1 controls the hallway light)

when I turn either the hallway controlling dimmer switch on or the landing light controlling switch on the light doesn’t work (has been installed 6 years and no problems until now)

Ive attached pictures of both controlling switches

Attached Files:

8. Ind spark

Probably a faulty light then, wouldn't think you'd have 2 faulty switches.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

It's simple with Testing instruments to establish where the fault is ,but as you don't have any there's not a lot you can do ,but I would start with the dimmer.
    Show us pics of wiring at the dimmer.

10. Shackko2022

Shackko2022 New Member

I have a spare ceiling light pendant I will sap It over tommorow and see if that works, I’m hoping it’s just something simple like that, will report back thanks for your help so far

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Are the bulbs 240 volt ? If they are I very much doubt the light fitting is faulty.

Ind spark likes this.
  12. Shackko2022

Shackko2022 New Member

G9 230v 40w

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Highly unlikely the light fitting has
    " Failed". It may be a loose connection on the wiring ,but a sudden failure for no apparent reason ,no chance .
    Show us a pic of wiring at the dimmer.
    A simple connection of permanent line to switched line would rule out the switch

14. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

It is conceivable that a lamp blowing has “fried” the dimmer.

15. Shackko2022

Shackko2022 New Member

Replaced the dimmer switch today - light works

So after all it was 1 side of the dimmer switch that was faulty

thanks all

terrymac likes this.