Ceiling light problems

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Phantom999, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Phantom999

Phantom999 New Member

Had the ceiling skimmed and so lowered the light. The light has now stopped working, if the light fitting is disconnected and I test the cables for power it is there and shows 110v. If I then connect the light fitting and test the connections it shows no power at all. It's very puzzling as I've tried 2 different light fittings and nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

PS: The wiring has not been altered at all from when the light worked.

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

110 volts, you in America.??

3. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

You don't have one connected to neutral.

Phantom999 likes this.
  4. Phantom999

Phantom999 New Member

No I'm in the UK. The light was working fine up until it was lowered for skimming. Here are some images of the wiring.
    Cheers 20180711_154904.jpg 20180711_154925.jpg

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Something along these lines...something has become disconnected up top so to speak, is my guess.

PhilSo likes this.
  6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Earth at switch needs to be connected.
    Ease the cables out of ceiling to see if there is another joint there.
    Any other fitting removed on other ceilings ?
    RS

7. Phantom999

Phantom999 New Member

There is power to red and black when tested but when you connect a light fitting to it and I've tried 2 light fittings if you retest the red and black there is no power at all.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

One of the T&E cables, probably the one with the red going into the choc block, is the perm live and neutral, so try connecting this to the light fitting and it should light. if it lights you know its something to do with the switch cable, if not them its the perm feed somewhere.

Of course, disconnect whilst messing around with cables.

9. Vin

Vin Member

If you have power there when there is NO lamp connected but it disappears once you connect a lamp it means you have high resistance in the circuit somewhere. Probably caused by a poor connection.
    Check connections at switch, those connector blocks and anywhere else you can access.

10. Phantom999

Phantom999 New Member

Thanks all for the replies, I'll check and let you know.
    Cheers

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

what did you test it with ?
    RS

12. Phantom999

Phantom999 New Member

Sorted, I had neutral that had come disconnected on the main feed to light so all done. Thanks to everyone who gave advice.
    Cheers