Ceiling paint for small bathroom

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by iainc, Feb 2, 2015.

1. iainc

iainc New Member

Hi Painting types,

I have a small ensuite bathroom which is ventillated using a manrose extractor linked to the ceiling lights. The bathroom does tend to get cold and suffer from condensation a little. This is a newly redone bathroom with a skimmed plasterboard ceiling.

Anyway, About 6 months after the bathroom was installed, the ceiling paint started to flake above the shower unit. Mostly at the join between the ceiling and walls (i'ts tile up to the ceiling) to about 2 cm out and also directly above the shower head (rain shower).

I skimmed off the flaking paint and used some mould resistant ceiling paint to make the ceiling good again. But about a year later and the paint is falling off again.

Anyone got any ideas as to what type of paint or what sort of preparation I can use to stop this happening?

Cheers

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Once the ceiling had been skimmed and allowed to dry, was a mist coat applied before the bathroom paint went on ?

It sounds like the new plaster wasn't sealed before painting and the steam is causing the paint to flake off due to poor adhesion
    Where the paint has flaked off from, does the plaster look clean and new

Does the extract fan have an overrun timer fitted

3. I agree with DIYDave if the plaster looks clean and pink under the peeling flaking bit i would say it was never mist coated before it was painted if this is the case im afraid you will probably have too scrape/sand off the whole ceiling till it is bare plaster then mist coat and then repaint with an appropriate bathroom paint sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( Ps mist coat is a coat of watered down emulsion maybe two the first well watered down then the second not so much then neat until your happy with the finish :)

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some plasterers can sometimes 'polish' the surface when plastering to show off their skills.

This make the surface liable not to take a paint finish, it would need lightly sanding down to provide a key.

5. iainc

iainc New Member

I did apply a mist coat (although it looked like more of a fog than a mist - so probably not watered down enough) - but as Jitender mentioned the ceiling plaster was well polished. I'm going to try the light sanding idea before trying to redo the whole ceiling...

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Clean the area by removing any loose and flaking paint, sand the edges to a smooth finish then seal with Zinnser Bullseye 123, let dry and repaint entire ceiling with an Acrylic Eggshell x2 full coats. Eggshell paint is designed to cope in areas of high humidity and steam.

Gatt likes this.