Ceiling Painting Nightmare

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Danny_Boy85, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Danny_Boy85

Danny_Boy85 New Member

Dear All,

I have been having a nightmare with a skimmed ceiling in the living room. (Previously artex). This was done over a year ago and was mist coated with Leyland matt emulsion (50 50 mix) and two further coats. Every time in the same positions it looks really patchy, after the first couple of coats i thought i had missed areas, but after further coats and making sure i was keeping wet edges and not over rolling (watched so many you tube videos on painting ceiling’s) I give up. Fast forward to this year when we have renovated our lounge and kitchen I thought I would give it another go with a more expensive paint, this time I chose Delux Trade Vinyl Matt and again the same result patchy finish in the daylight! My father in law has now sanded it and painted it again but still it looks awful if not a touch worse. I am starting to think it may be the plaster at fault, in the areas where it appears patchy from distance.

The plaster from underneath does seem grainier, if I stand underneath it, it looks perfectly white, but if I stand in the kitchen and look into the lounge it looks awful like I have missed patches. As a last resort before the flooring is laid I have ordered a flat matt paint (anti reflex 2), would it help if I re primed the ceiling with a quality primer such something from the Zinesser range e,g, bulleye 123 or Guardz? before painting with Anti reflex 2?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions before I go mad!

IMG_3830.jpg IMG_3831.jpg

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get a Hamilton Perfection green or white dove sleeve. Biggest one you can get. 15-18inch...
    2 coats with AR2, put a splash of water with it to easy it on although some skip that and use neat..

Have you put straight edge across to see how flat ceiling is? Is it bumpy?

Don't think that needs sealing with anything with the AR2

Don't back roll too much. Get it on and let it dry off well... Then another coat...

teabreak likes this.
  3. Danny_Boy85

Danny_Boy85 New Member

Thanks for the reply, its not massively bumpy but it isnt perfectly straight either, i have been using a 12 inch roller, will see if i can get something bigger as you suggested, the patchy areas look almost grainy if you look at them up close, my fear was those areas were sucking up the paint too much when rolled over. I have been trying to cut the ceiling in quarters and go up and down as apposed to all directions, i am not after a perfect finish just something that doesn't look like a patchy nightmare when the light hits it or when i can see it from kitchen!!

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

May well be casting shadows from shallow dips in the ceiling.
    Try lighting from below when no daylight striking it from the side and see if the same areas still look different.

If however you decide the plaster is rougher in those areas try a coat of Basecoat.
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/polycell-3-in-1-basecoat-2-5l_p187677

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

it's caused by dry emulsion that was applied to thick and dried out fast, needs sanding flat and re painting....pig of a job :(

fff likes this.
  6. Danny_Boy85

Danny_Boy85 New Member

Dear All,

Thanks for the suggestions, i have already sanded the ceiling on the previous couple of coats and always remains the same in the same area of the ceiling, as suggested i have purchased a hamilton 15 inch roller and have ordered some Anti Reflex 2 paint, will give it a go with that and hopefully it will be better, i am never expecting a perfect finish, just an acceptable finish that doesn't look like a 5 year has painted the ceiling!

7. Danny_Boy85

Danny_Boy85 New Member

Thanks Wayners, used a 15inch Hamilton Perfection Pink long pile and the AR2, after 2 coats it much improved, really impressed with the AR2 paint, will definately use this for ceilings in the future!

Wayners likes this.
  8. LeonWiddicombe

LeonWiddicombe Active Member

If it is texture related you can sand it out, if it isn't flat you will forever get shadows. I would get a plasterer in and get an opinion. You might be best to start over.

As an ex decorator, got called into a lot of jobs where ceiling were left looking **** and often just needed more paint or longer pile roller.

9. Alip1977

Alip1977 New Member

Hi Danny Boy. I have the exact same problem. What was the final outcome after using AR2? do you have any new pictures?

10. Danny_Boy85

Danny_Boy85 New Member

Much better, even with poor plaster, never going to be perfect but so much better, have since used it on other ceilings and the finish is always perfect. I purchased the hamilton roller and purdy frame. Just remember you will need 2 coats of the AR2.

Attached Files:

fff likes this.
  11. Alip1977

Alip1977 New Member

Thank you very much. That's really helpful.

12. Danny_Boy85

Danny_Boy85 New Member

Your welcome, good luck

13. Looks miles better that