Ceiling Plaster Cracks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Liam Young, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Liam Young

Liam Young New Member

I moved into a house last April and had the living room completely re-plastered. All was well until around Christmas when I noticed a few cracks in the ceiling, 3 in the same corner and 2 in the opposite corner.

When inspecting further I noticed that I could push the plaster and that it felt detached from the ceiling.

I tried filling the cracks with standsrd Pollyfilla and while it appeared to hold for a while, the cracks have reappeared.

There are also another couple of cracks in different areas of the ceiling.

Is it a case of having to remove the plaster and have it redone? The living room has been fully decorated and I'm obviously concerned about having to redo the entire living room.

Any advice about what I should do would be appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Was that including ceiling, if so, did ceiling have artex finish that was skimmed.

How old is house, ceiling is it plasterboard or plaster lath.

Should be able to remove plaster,seal & reskim,or over board ceiling & skim if exsisting plasterboard is loose, but if ceiling needs replacing, it can be a filty job,need to seal room, as dust & muck gets everwhere.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Sounds like a skimmed ceiling that has failed and coming away. Seen it a few times, it will eventually all come away and fall down.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Spot on,hope it's only skim thas has failed, & not the weight of the addtional plaster pulling the the plasterboard/ plaster lath down.

5. Liam Young

Liam Young New Member

It had an artex finish. It was rubbed down by the plasterer before applying the skim. When I press the plaster it feels very light so I'm assuming it's just the layer of plaster that's come away from the artex.

The property was built in the 60's. I'm guessing it's plasterboard under the artex but I couldn't confirm.

Would it be a case of cutting out the affected areas and patching or completely removing the entire ceiling plaster and re-doing? Any short term measures as I'm guessing this won't be a cheap fix?

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Rubbed down!:eek:

Usually you a bonding agent over artex,a lot of peeps use diluted pva,not a fan of this,as you can get problems with it,I prefer to use Thistle Bond-it or Febond Blue-Grit.
    Give ceiling a coat, allow to throughly dry, then skim.:)

7. Liam Young

Liam Young New Member

I meant they scraped it back haha. So you reckon removing is the only solution?

8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Well,I would never scrape artex, as a lot of Artex up to around 2000 contain asbestos, you'll will need the plaster skim that has failed removed, then seal the artex & reskim.

Thought about getting in touch with the plasterer who orginally did the skim,did they guarentee their work?

9. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Sheet up cut an area out ( you're doing the job anyway) , you can decide after a closer examination , look at the surface contact bond it may be the artex to the original or the fresh plaster
    If it's the new plaster ask your plasterer to explain his bonding method , wetting artex can cause bulging especially if applied to dirty or poorly prepped ceiling and you can't really blame him for what's underneath
    At the end of the day overskim is a bit of a gamble , long term home , reboard with sound proofing and light layout

10. gas monkey

gas monkey Member

hello put up a false ceiling no mess