Ceiling rose fitting broken - help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Maddie cox, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Maddie cox

Maddie cox New Member

Hi there,
    I attempted to hang a lampshade which weighs 1.5kg on my ceiling rose fitting.

It was clearly too heavy and I imagine the fitting is quite old.

What can I do, do I need to buy a new one and re fit and how do I make sure it doesn't happen again when hanging my shade?

Thank you!

2. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

Get a new pendant or new light fitting and throw away or return the 1.5kg lampshade, even though it will probably be ok on the new pendant its a bit too weighty really...

If you are not confident to change the pendant or install new light fitting get an electrician.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Pics of both fitting and rose would be useful. If it's broken it will likely need replacing ,what exactly is broken ?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Any decent ceiling rose should easily cope with that weight. MK for example are rated for 3kg. And there are many, many, many light fitting installed that 1, 2, 3 kg

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Before you do anything, unscrew the lid of the rose and take a few good photos that clearly show the incoming wires and their colours or markings. Post the photos on here and someone will advise you on your next move.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The pendant sets that come with a cord grip on the inside of the rose lid are the best type so the weight of the fitting is taken by the flex and cord grip - not just the L & N cores wrapped around lugs inside the rose

Don’t know if these cord grips are standard amongst brands now ? Seems the better option, regardless of weight of fitting

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The ceiling rose will probably be capable of supporting that weight. The gotcha usually is that there’s nothing substantial holding the rose to the ceiling.

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

MK do say that it is subject to "correct fixing"