Ceiling sound proof advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rockyboy, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

Hi all, I’m hoping someone can please advise on the best practise for soundproofing a ceiling.

My property is currently in a house conversion, my flat is a 2bed ground floor with 2 1bed flats above (different owners).
    I am currently splitting my flat into 2 seperate flats, I have now finishing off the second flat but seeing as I will be officially registering the flats as seperate units I need to ensure the properties pass all sound test regulations.

My builder is in the process of removing the old ceiling and I need to obviously newly insulate and sound proof it and I wanted to get some advice on how best to do this.

Prior to removing the ceiling the noise from the above flat was really bad, they have a carpet but it looks like there was no real sound proofing or insultation added when it was originally converted.

I hope the picture helps.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Short answer, rockwool acoustic batts between the joists then sound bloc blue plasterboard screwed to the joists. If you had the height you could fit a suspended ceiling and insulate further, but it's how far you go.

CGN, Rockyboy and KIAB like this.
  3. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

Hi, many thanks for the tip, I’m not sure how much depth I would need for a suspended ceiling but that would probably the preferred option assuming it’s substantially better then screwing soundbloc starighy to the joists. The room is about 2.8m so quite tall but only have about 20cm to the top of the windows.

4. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Active Member

The last one I worked on had isolation bars on the joists and the ceiling screwed to them and also on the top of the joist a dense rubber / foam to isolate the floor

Rockyboy and CGN like this.
  5. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

Many thanks for the advice all!

6. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Most manufacturers have standard details to comply with building regs. https://www.rockwool.com/applications/ceilings/

Speak to building control before you do the work to make sure they are happy with the detail and if they want to inspect it. It'll be expensive shortcut if you don't give them a call