Ceiling worries

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Suzanne Samuels, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Suzanne Samuels

Suzanne Samuels New Member

Hello to you all,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know you can't all give a definitive answer over the internet and you probably get this a lot and some of you may roll your eye and I'm sorry, just worried... but if you can give me any help I'd be so grateful. I've just moved into a new place. The survey didn't say anything about asbestos in the flat/house but now I am here and had a closer look I can see lots of knobbly bits on one ceiling and one underneath the stairs. Is this Artex - which I always understood was asbestos? Or is it closer to paint ot woodchip or anaglypta? Should I be worried?

It's not on all the ceilings, the landing one and on the stars? The pictures are here I hope.

Thank you if you can give me any pointers

Suz
    IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4637.JPG

Attached Files:

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Looks like artex. May or may not contain asbestos. If your worried have it tested.

Jord86 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Artex. Not all Artex contained asbestos, and after 2000 (I think) none was used in the production. It's fine in its current state, it's only becomes a hazard if the dust gets airborne (due to you ripping it out) and you start breathing it in. Can get a plasterer to skim over it, especially the underside of your stairs, but with the ceiling I'd probably overboard it with new plasterboard and skim, you won't get a good finish trying to skim over the stipple.

Suzanne Samuels and KIAB like this.
  4. Suzanne Samuels

oh no, the bit under the stairs too?

Attached Files:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If pre-2000 artex,then it could contain asbestos,I can remember places seeing stockpiles of pre 2000 artex still being sold,so could be use beyond that date.

And definitely overboard, easier option.

Suzanne Samuels likes this.
  6. Suzanne Samuels

Thanks for all your help. Of course, I was hoping you'd say it didnt look like artex/asbestos. Don't think overboarding underneath a stair is going to work.

How dangerous is it to leave there? If one v small bit broke off would it be very dangerous - or does the danger come if you smash the whole thing down?

Thanks, Suz

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Artex contains a very small amount, if any, there are millions of homes with it, minimal risk, get some sleep:)lol.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should be able to skim under the stairs I reckon.

Need to inhale a darn lot to harm you,so don't worry about it.

Suzanne Samuels, Astramax and Rulland like this.
  9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Absolutely, there is to much worrying about asbestos in situations where it's not really a problem.

10. Suzanne Samuels

Thanks I'm new to this. I thought one bit of Artex came off ceiling anytime it'd be a big risk, as one bit can lodge in your lung

11. Longy75

Longy75 Member

From that pic, the understairs should be fine for skimming as it's not that heavy, and as others have said you can overboard the other ceiling to cover it, ask a local plasterer to give you a quote, shouldn't be more than a days work to do the lot. So long as you don't attack it with a sander you'll be fine

Suzanne Samuels and KIAB like this.
  12. Suzanne Samuels

Thanks, would it be dangerous to leave it as it is?
    Suz

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Please do not over stress yourself about it, as Jord and others have said it is fine in it's current state.

14. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

What he said ^^^

15. Longy75

Longy75 Member

It's perfectly fine to leave as it is, depends if you like that finish or not, purely a cosmetic thing

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Your lucky it's not woodchip wallpaper....nobody can get that off!!!!:eek:

gadget man, Suzanne Samuels and KIAB like this.
  17. Suzanne Samuels

Guys, thank you. Taking the time, coming back to me. It means a lot.

Astramax likes this.
  18. Suzanne Samuels

I don't mind the style cosmetically
    I was worried if bits accidentally chipped off, I'd be in danger

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You would have to be exceptionally unlucky for that to happen.

20. Suzanne Samuels

even if kids - one day! who knows what happens in life - were prodding around and picking at it?