Celing light problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pete Seal, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Pete Seal

Pete Seal New Member

I had a bulb blow in my ceiling lamp with 3 spotligths which tripped out the rcd.
    I changed the bulb reset the trip switch and the light was dead. Next I changed the light fitting and the light switch (both new) and still nothing.

I have tested for power at the switch and the ceiling block connector with a 500V tester with two probes nol a multi meter and both have power with the light fitting not attached. If I connect the light fitting and check the ceiling connector block there is no power. It seems that by completing the circuit with the bulbs in the light fitting kills the power which has me baffled. I have changed this light fitting three times in the past with no problem, any ideas as to what may be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If you're saying that the live is "live" i.e. at 230v, then I wonder if the neutral is no longer connected.

3. Pete Seal

Pete Seal New Member

The neutral wire is connected at both the fitting and the switch but then disappears into the wall so I guess the fault must be between the switch and the consumer forming the loop. I assume the connector block forms the loop when I put my voltage tester across the live and neutral with the fitting is not connected. What confuses me is that when the light fitting is connected putting my voltage tester into the same live and neutral points in the connector block shows no voltage present, I would have thought my tester would be forming the same loop as with the fitting removed whether the neutral was connected beyond that point or not. Seems logical to me but my logic may not make sense in terms of how circuits work.