cement or silicone under shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by newkitchenboy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. newkitchenboy

newkitchenboy New Member

Hi

I am fitting Kudos concept tray (quadrant) details say to use a 1-5 weak cement mix, silicone or tile cement.

Which do the experts prefer?

Any tips or hints would be gratfully recieved.

Ta

Ian

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Do whatever the manufacturer recommends. They all work but there will be no warranty if the tray cracks and you have not followed their instructions.

3. wetneck

wetneck New Member

Hi

I am fitting Kudos concept tray (quadrant) details
    say to use a 1-5 weak cement mix, silicone or tile
    cement.

Which do the experts prefer?

Any tips or hints would be gratfully recieved.

Ta

Ian

Use weak cement spread over entire base of shower tray,as per MIs. Any probs,your covered;)

4. tgs

tgs New Member

Agree with above absolutely.

Last Kudos tray I installed, I remembered the tile cement bit being there but not the silicon.

I used cement based tile adhesive (no lumps in it) and spread with a notched trowel to give a completely even support with leeway for levelling up and adjustment.(courtesy of the notches)

Most trays have a 25 year warranty or similar so it's worth sticking to manufacturers guidelines.

I like the bit in the MX leaflet that says that it won't accept the excuse that the instructions in the leaflet couldn't be followed because the tray came without the leaflet. "The tray always comes with the leaflet".

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Ah, manufacturers! Bless 'em.

6. Kelvers

Kelvers New Member

Rapid set floor tile adhesive works better, for me, than mortar, but warranty...? Also, it's something I always have in the van.

7. plumb12

plumb12 New Member

like kelvers said,tile adhesive works a treat.nice and stiff when beding the tray.

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I like tile adhesive but it is best to stick to the manufacturer's spec to keep the warranty valid.

9. newkitchenboy

newkitchenboy New Member

Hi all thanks for the tips

I've got some sand and cement I'll do it that way
    Ian

10. newkitchenboy

newkitchenboy New Member

did it with sand/cemnt mix - worked ok

Thanks for the tips

11. electric7831

electric7831 New Member

hi yeah rapid set tile adhesive is best. if on a wooden floor use a flexible floor adhesive, sand and cement will crack on wooden floor. flexible adhesive sticks to the tray as well and bonds it all together.

12. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I've not used anything other than rapidset flexy for the past few years. I'm not keen on sand/cement.