Central Heating control - Honeywell CM61

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ian R, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Ian R

Ian R New Member

Hi
    I have a Honeywell CM61 thermo-stat, it is installed in the wrong room.
    Does anyone know how I could buy/fit a 'wireless' Remote Temperature Sensor Accessory.
    This will allow me to control the heating from the cold room.
    Thank you

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Just ditch the thermostat you've got by disconnecting it from the boiler/wiring centre and wire a wireless thermostat to it instead. You can then place the thermostat wherever you want as it will be battery operated.

You could buy a nest or a Hive like plenty of people are doing or alternatively a standard wireless thermostat will do the job, Plenty of choice.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/central-heating-controls/cat831042#category=cat4600004

I prefer the Honeywell stuff myself though.

Muzungu likes this.
  3. Ian R

Ian R New Member

@Peter,
    Helpful - thank you
    I want to try and preserve the timer in the CM61
    I will look at your link

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The programmable room stats have a built in timer as well as the temperature. You would set the stat to come on at say 6AM at 20 degrees, so if its colder than that in the house it will fire and then at 10AM you set the temp to 10 degrees for eg, so it will only continue on if its 10 deg or less until it gets to the next higher temp setting. You don't think of them as on and off settings more like times temperature settings.

Muzungu likes this.
  5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Installed a Salus 510rf for the same reason about a year ago, I think there is an updated version now. Cheap to buy and a straight forward install, receiver will fit in the same position as your old one (screws into standard backbox) if you want. Mine is switched live, and transmitter/programmer will go where ever you want. It tends to follow us around in override mode when in the house, never had any problems with it. If we are in the main downstairs room all evening we just set it to whatever temp we want in the room, all other TRVs in the house can be at 0 if required. Many others of similar nature as Peter had said, just giving my experience as a non pro.

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Nest e both reciver and sender are battery operated, however I use electronic TRV heads, mainly as setting in degs C not *123456 but setting the TRV and wall thermostat to same temperature means that room slows down as it reaches the target temperature so other rooms have a chance to catch up.

Two cheap stand alone programmable TVR heads, Terrier i30 and the eQ-3 the latter is also done in bluetooth version, depending where you buy £10 - £25 far easier than wiring a new thermostat.