Central heating Pumps.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Blew2Bitz, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Blew2Bitz

Blew2Bitz New Member

guys,
    Please advise on which make available from screfix is the best. Terrier or Wilo. My poor old mothers pump has just packed in and needs changing asap.
    I look forward to your comments.

2. rama

rama New Member

Grundfos personally.

3. ister

ister New Member

hi, i have fitted quite a few of the wilo pumps for the local authority over the years dont last much over two years usually,get to b&q tomorrow and get a grundfos you get what you pay for.

4. Blew2Bitz

Blew2Bitz New Member

Cheers Guys,

Much appreciated

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

hi, i have fitted quite a few of the wilo pumps for
    the local authority over the years dont last much
    over two years usually,get to b&q tomorrow and get a
    grundfos you get what you pay for.

The cheaoper pumps are OK. The bearings just don't like dirt in the water. If a Magnaclean or Spirovent filter is on the boiler return they last a hell of a long longer...so does everything in the system as well.

6. Pumps are an interesting subject!

I do have to replace a lot of Grunfoss pumps which have failed electrically. Their ceramic bearings are very robust though. But its more expensive.

Wilo ( pronounced Vilo ) are very reliable electrically but the bearings are plastic and will wear quickly if the system water is dirty. If its clean then they will have a very long life. They are now fitted on most combi boilers. They are quite reasonably priced.

The DAB has only recently appeared on the market and its to early to say how good they will be. They say they are owned by Grunfoss but the parts are not interchangeable and they look cheaply made. I have never seen a failed one. They are about half the price of Grundfos.

Tony

7. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Pumps are an interesting subject!

I do have to replace a lot of Grunfoss pumps which
    have failed electrically. Their ceramic bearings are
    very robust though. But its more expensive.

Wilo ( pronounced Vilo ) are very reliable
    electrically but the bearings are plastic and will
    wear quickly if the system water is dirty. If its
    clean then they will have a very long life. They are
    now fitted on most combi boilers. They are quite
    reasonably priced.

The DAB has only recently appeared on the market and
    its to early to say how good they will be. They say
    they are owned by Grunfoss but the parts are not
    interchangeable and they look cheaply made. I have
    never seen a failed one. They are about half the
    price of Grundfos.

Tony

Their web site is comprehensive, as is the range. At half the price it may be worth it financially to buy a DAB and magnaclean.

The Wilo pumps I believe have carbon fibre bearings. The DAB say ceramic like the Grundfos. DAB may be selling cheap to get market share then raise the price. They seem too cheap for the specification.

Also it is alwasys best to have a pump on the return, if possible, to keep it cooler, despite the makers saying they can continually run between 80-90C water temps.