Central heating upgrade from gas fires in all the rooms.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chipwright, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Chipwright

Chipwright New Member

hello .

Looking to buy a house but it seems all the rooms has some funky 70's looking gas heaters in them. So im guessing these use gas and the combustion process occurs in each room as opposed to a central boiler pushing hot wet around. The gas pipes feeding these seem to be standard radiator pipe thickness. <y question is If I upgrade to combi boiler and radiators, can the existing pipework be used for feeding the radiators?

And just in case i need to start from scratch, its a classic two storey 3-4 bed semi . I only had a quick viewing but estimating I will need about 13 radiators a cobi and depending on th eabove, new pipework all round. How much should this set me back to the nearest £500 in Canterburry area?

many thanks for your time.

2. Chipwright

Chipwright New Member

P>S> Not big on spellcheck

3. I-Man

I-Man Active Member

Well the simple response to your first question is that you'll need completely new pipework fitted. The existing cannot be used, and so will need to be ripped out.

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

"How much to the nearest £500?"
    We don`t even know which boiler you think you want (note think) so it is impossible to answer chipwright, get people in to quote for a full installation.

5. kiaora

kiaora Screwfix Select

Back in the day, we used to say a price for the boiler and then per rad,

now a guide maybe 2k for good boiler , and say £300 per rad, as a guide ?

good luck
    Peter

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Four to five grand job as a ball park figure

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

£4500 plus/minus £500 :p:D

Above estimates seem reasonable. Laying copper pipework is a labour of love, can save yourself a fortune by DIYing this, but boiler needs a gas safe trade.