Central Heating/water system... Sounds like running water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dot99, May 1, 2018.

1. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

So changed the central heating pump in airing cupboard a month back. Manually set diverter valve to heat only, drained system from above boiler, replaced pump, then cleaned expansion tank, flushed water through. Refilled system including inhibitor.

On heating only, system runs absolutely quiet. If on hot water or mid position, after a certain time, say 45 mins, there are sounds like a running tap in the airing cupboard and above the boiler(in kitchen). Plus occasional odd clickety noises from some rads.

System is gravity fed, pump and hw tank in airing cupboard, Y plan.

2. Sammi

Sammi Member

What is your new pump? I presume an energy efficient type? What happens if you set to to 'auto' so that it only runs as fast as required - does it now run quietly?

Is this just a sound or do you have funny things happening in your F&E tank?

3. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

New ERP pump, grundfos UPS2. It does calm down only a little if I set speed to 3(usually on 2). No auto function on this pump.

I need to check the f and e tank. What should I be looking for(there is no vent pipe hanging over the top)

4. Sammi

Sammi Member

It calms down a bit on three? I was meaning that if you could turn it down a bit.

A sound like a swooshing gurgle (how on earth do you describe this?) might suggest air in the system, which often happens after a refill, even partial, but this should have been expelled by now. Is there an air vent anywhere on your pipes? If so, have you tried bleeding it?

You say some rads 'tick' when the valve is set to DHW - do they actually heat up at all when only on DHW?

5. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Ok so I'm reviving this thread. I still have the bubbling problem in the hot water cylinder. Could it be the water heated coil or the water in the ta itself?

I do have to bleed the air valve next to the cylinder quite often and so i think air is trapped in the coil, how would I remove this air. I've currently set the pump speed to 1 which has slightly helped.

Thanks

6. Rachel Grashion

Rachel Grashion New Member

Hi Dot99. Appreciate this is an old post but wondering if you ever got to the bottom of it and what the resolution was? Having an issue which sounds identical to this and there’s not really anything online about this specific issue that I can find. The noise is driving me potty!

thanks,
    Rachel