Central Heating Won't Turn Off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NikiM, Apr 30, 2017.

1. NikiM

NikiM New Member

Hi all!

We've been having a problem with the central heating in our rental house for the last 3 years.

Every so often the heating turns on, even when the timer is set to off, and will run that way for weeks. The only way to switch it off is by turning off the power going to it.

Our landlord's notoriously pathetic handyman came the first few times, poked at the timer switch, and said there was nothing wrong. Since then we've been left to stew (literally - waking up bathed in sweat because it's decided to run overnight and heat the house to 28 degrees is no joke!).

It's an outdoor Grant 500-900 for the Irish market, running the central heating only (no water heating).

We recently got so sick of the landlord's cheap and really awful timer that we replaced it with Nest, but here we are back with a 28 degree house, and I just can't face this any more.

Can anyone give any pointers as to possible issues?

I've been poo pooed for years for suggesting it could be the frost protection thermostat (I'm assuming that's what the metal cylinder is in the boiler housing!) - is that a possibility?

As a side comment - which may well be a red herring - it always seems to happen when it is very windy!

Thanks for any pointers!

Niki