ceramic hob

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Chekhov, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

I fitted a kitchen recently and wired the oven and the hob to the same supply line. The oven works fine but only two of the elements on the hob work. The customer thought it was a fault with the hob so she got John Lewis to send out one of their sparks.He said he wasn't allowed to fix it but he left a diagram and said it was quite a simple job to re wire it correctly. However his diagram is a bit confusing. He also mentions something about a neutral link. Does this make sense to anyone? I'm a chippy btw not a spark in case you hadn't noticed.

2. fooman

fooman New Member

doubt its a neutral link but a lot of electric hobs have a couple of links you need to fit to work on single phase. Most of these hobs are 3 phase for the continental market ;)

3. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

thanks for the reply. So what do I need to link? I just connected live neutral and earth but there is another connection not used. Does it have something to do with this?

4. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Probably a Neff hob. These, and their ovens have strappers within the connection area of the hob/oven to allow for all sorts of variations of supply (single, 2 and 3 phase, 110, 120 and 220 etc supply).

I dont think that he was referring to anything you have done, maybe?

Last one I did I ran two separate supplies (10mm each) for hob and double fan oven, they were energy hungry appliances mind.

May I ask what a chippy is doing in a kitchen with electrical circuits / supply?
    Think I will start fitting kitchen cupboards and sinks etc. At least they will be on straight ;)

5. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

lol RR

As said theres a couple of horseshoe like links needed to connect up the different... connections. Some hobs can be wired on 1 2 or 3 phases. Flip it over, the spare links should be bolted in there somewhere. If not best order some, dont just bodge it with wire. On closer inspection you'll see several terminals not linked in, should still be labelled L1 L2 etc, and there may be a diagram stuck on the hob. Not sure about neutrals needing connecting, dont recall seeing that before.

Got a bloody job tomorrow with 18kW of cooking and heating appliances :( Thick fool of a surveyor didnt even mention any electrics!

6. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

lmao Joe, I think we have all "been there done that". My last major new build was a spec for a 2kW oven so ran in a ring.

Job done all painted and decorated then the oven arrrives; ferking great big range with two fan assisted ovens. I LOVE channeling newly finished walls :)

7. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Joelp1: Thanks for that.I'm not sure if I quite understand what you are on about but it sort of makes sense! I'll have a look at it tomorrow. Are you saying that the "horse shoe" links should have been provided with the unit?

8. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Yes - take a GOOD look inside they put them into a sort of cradle inside the connections area. Not too obvious by the way ;)

9. russ295

russ295 New Member

done lots of ceramics, never came across many supplied links, normally link it with cable, can be a bit of a pita though!

russ