Chainsaw recommendation

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I am looking to buy a petrol chainsaw. There seem 3 options.

1. Buy brand new famous make = cost problem
    2. Buy vintage / used famouse make = lower cost but must fiddle with tune ups
    3. Buy brand new Chinese no name ones = cheap but not sure how long it will last or if it will work at all

Any info, advice, experience on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What size bar you want, 12",14" or 16" & your budget.

Top of list Stihl.

Stihl MS170 12" around £150

Stihl MS 181 16"around £250

Entry level saws, google, may find cheaper.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Theleman likes this.
  3. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Will be using it for mainly firewood cutting, but there are a few occasions cutting down dead trees in the back garden.

So, small to medium size bar would be ok.

4. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Stihl and Huskies seem most high end makes.
    How would Mclluch and Makita be like?

And a few noname Chinese makes seem selling well recently.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Theleman likes this.
  6. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I have a stihl ms181 c-be 14" and it's the dogs danglys. Recommend it 100%

The easy start function on it makes it great to use and it really helps with start-up. Well worth the extra.

I recently used it to buck up a huge oak tree and bar a couple of sharpenings it performed faultlessly.

Get one. Don't bothered with anything else. Youll regret it.

KIAB and Theleman like this.
  7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

No offence to you but I wouldn't recommend that any member of the public be allowed to buy a chainsaw unless they also had to buy and attend training of some sort. Professional users have to have so many tickets for different scenarios - and they're the ones with a clue! I cannot think of a more dangerous machine that can be bought off the shelf.

That said, it all depends on what use you will put it to. For a professional I would suggest Stihl or Husqvarna but that's a bit like saying DeWalt or Makita to a builder. My choice - Stihl. My recommendation - Aldi. l bought one to keep as an emergency spare and have been pleasantly surprised.

If looked after, their chainsaw is a good bit of kit. Make sure that you drain the fuel and run the machine dry if it's not going to be used for a few weeks. This is an issue with modern fuels - not which brand of kit you buy so I would suggest this for any machine.

Don't forget to buy suitable PPE as well!

PhilSo, Astramax, KIAB and 1 other person like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Darn dangerous thing,think everyone should do a chainsaw course, before being let loose with one.

Trousers & footwear essential,as well as the usual quipment.

9. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

My trees to cut are usually 6 - 10 inches diameter.

I have been using Bosch Ake 35s electric saw, but found a bit under powered, and it is hassle to run extension cable to the wood piles. So I was looking to petrol chainsaws.

I have chainsaw trousers and safety helmet and gloves and specs and ear protection of course.

Just looking to get a simple, reliable and good workhorse saw.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Theleman likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Darn connection:mad:,as I was about to say, the SIP 01973 type I had, cut legs off a bit, so it was a lot lower,it needed some diagonal bracing,even on base plate to firm it up.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stih...m-petrol-chainsaw-with-cqt-and-ergostart.html

13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I've got a Ryobi 18" petrol one, had it about 10 years, it doesn't get used more than half dozen times a year, but has cut down 3 x 30' plus conifers, various new railway sleepers and lots of rough cut timber, it always starts within 4 pulls and has only had two chains, if your on a budget they are a bloody good saw for the money, around £120.00.

btiw2 and Theleman like this.
  14. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

This is some of what the little stihl cut up the other day. Recommended.

Theleman and KIAB like this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pretty impressive for a 14" saw,but then it's a Stihl, & they say, it's suitable for up to 12" inches in diameter.:)

Dam0n likes this.
  16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Dog looking at you as if to say "really." :p

Dam0n and KIAB like this.
  17. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

She was thinking one of those "sticks" were hers to play with!

18. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Wow ... big trees. Mine are usually about a quarter in diametre.

19. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I had a Ryobi Petrol Hedge Trimmer bought from Costco a few year ago, but wasn't too happy with it. It took about 5 - 10 pulls to start, and power wasn't great. Sold it away.

But then Chainsaw could be different. Will look into it. Thanks for your info.

20. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I've used Stihl for years and can't recommend them too highly.. Incidentally Stihl's dealers will not sell you a saw other than face to face so that you can at least be given some instruction.

KIAB likes this.