Change v old two way switch to two way dimmer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rachel Lee, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Rachel Lee

Rachel Lee New Member

FE30C8C9-1704-4F64-B274-8E457B06F303.jpeg 96AE5C3B-8263-4ABD-AA8B-B6EDAC495D47.jpeg C8838406-F6A5-4304-8EA4-4E55137FC82E.jpeg In the middle of decorating/updating an old house. Electrician came and put in some new wires. He checked this but ran out of time to change it (I couldn’t afford another days work) Pics attached

Normally quite happy changing switches, have just changed plugs for USB ones but this light switch has foxed me.

I am trying to add a double dimmer from a double on/off switch.

I have taken the old switch off the wall, replaced wires into new switch, first following names on the plate and then using the same existing order of wires but no light on with either configuration.

Old switch now back on as it’s the only way we have light! But as you can see, it’s broken and needs replacing. Plus the switch is jammed on permanently so I have to turn off at fuse box.

Can anyone advise the order I should be doing for the wires in the new box?

On pics I have shown colour of wires currently attached and I have rewritten the labels in case they are hard to read.

huge thanks in advance

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Switch 1
    Red to ~
    Black to L1

Switch 2
    Red to ~
    Yellow to L1
    Blue to L2

3. Rachel Lee

Rachel Lee New Member

Thanks so much. Will do this today!

4. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

The only problem you may have is screwing the new switch back, by looking at that old switch id guess the back box to be 16mm, could be wrong just be carefull when screwing the new switch back not to catch any cables.
    Worse case you may need to fit a deeper back box.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Just to explain how your existing switch is laid out. Each switch is a triangle with COM in the middle and L1 and L2 underneath. One triangle is the other way up to the other. This picture shows it much better than my clumsy description!
    A90EDFAE-E808-4381-976E-6C3CCB5C8044.jpeg

6. Rachel Lee

Rachel Lee New Member

7. Rachel Lee

Rachel Lee New Member

Thanks so much for the advice. It’s no problem to fit a new back box at the same time as we are replastering too. Will pick one up. And thanks for the photo to explain the set out- makes perfect sense now!