Changed toilet valve but still leaking at service valve and plastic tube??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Karlung, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Karlung

Karlung New Member

Hi all, looking for advise before I make it worst.

I replace the horbeck bottom connector valve as this was randomly notshutting off when flushed so was going out via the outsideoverflow pipe.

After replacing like for like it has started to leak at the join from the ‘extended’ brass pipe to the plastic tube.

As this looks like an extension to the service valve, looks like it has been soldered on, I cannot see if there was a washer there or what thickness it has to be if required.

An help please?

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

lots of pics please
    RS

3. Karlung

Karlung New Member

Hi, thanks for the quick response.
    Just trying to get pictures up.

I have actually taken off the valve to try and get a few decent pictures if that helps

C4231D8B-E529-4098-927F-FF9D44221AB0.jpeg D92D3F3F-AF8A-4649-9D66-7E3C94D8FDD4.jpeg 817A1099-E025-44D4-BCCC-0939009A7E06.jpeg 32B16DCE-B6D5-4DD9-927B-590F410BE891.jpeg

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There should be a fibre washer inside the top nut - usually red. It swells with moisture creating a seal.
    Edit: You might also have a leak around the bottom of the inlet valve where it meets the cistern. Sometimes difficult to distinguish between the two.

5. Karlung

Karlung New Member

Thanks for that. I was expecting to have a washer there but trying to find out the size as cannot get a decent look, the criteria off.
    Also noticed that in the picture of the service valve and extension I can see the solder is coming off but definitely was not leaking there.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The solder isn't coming off, it's just that the joint wasn't wiped when it was made. Any DIY store will have the washer you need. Take the fitting with you. The washer should be a tight fit around the copper spigot leaving the brass nut free to move.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Once you’ve replaced the fibre washer, don’t be tempted to over tighten the fitting onto the plastic tail of fill valve - doesn’t take much to knacker the plastic threads and this will also cause the fitting to leak

Can buy better quality fill valves that have brass tail, not absolutely necessary, just let the new fibre washer do the sealing without going crazy with the wrench :eek:

8. facilities

facilities Guest

All good advise, if I have a problem thread/connector I put a smear of LSX on the washer (from plumbers merchants) as said don’t over tighten & get the fibre washer not the nylon type old plumbers used to keep the washer in their mouth for a minute or two to dampen the washer but before adding the LSX ;)

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

First...dont put tools on the seat cover...it will get scratched.
    Second...i note you have a 'virgin, toolkit...lol
    third....make sure the bottom of the cistern where the Torbec valve sits is clean.
    Fourth...note advice above.
    ;)
    Rs

facilities likes this.
  10. Karlung

Karlung New Member

Yes, definitely excellent advise given and just trying to work out the washer size, I know it’s half an inch but it’s the thickness of the washer I am trying to work out. Don’t really want to take the extension piece off as may cause another leak. Lol

11. Karlung

Karlung New Member

Lol, sorry for the newbie mistakes. We all started off somewhere. Lol

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m only diy me so not plumbing every day but when using metal onto plastic fittings, I put a few wraps of PTFE on plastic thread

It’s not to stop fitting leaking, we all know that’s a schoolboy / DIY error ;)

In this case the washer will do the sealing, with compression fittings, it’s the olive that seals. Miles of PTFE on the threads is just uneccesary and often left on show, looks messy

Just find that with plastic to metal it makes the threads kinda smoother when tightening up

Maybe all in my mind but keeps me happy and always have a few rolls of plumbers miracle tape in the toolbox

Happy plumbing OP :)