Changes to the Screwfix Community Forum

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by screwfix.alex, Jan 14, 2013.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hooray LHC . Please let us know if you were successful or not.

2. Littlehamptonchap

Littlehamptonchap New Member

She said yes but only if she can wear her latex hotpants.

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Ta ra!

I'm off.

Its been good while it lasted....well until Screwfix messed up :(

ADMIN: Please delete all my posts and history.

Thank you.

Goodbye.

4. Don't forget your handbag.

PttFFtft.

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Thats a big shame. .....poor old DA will have hardly anyone to spout his righteous pomp at!

6. Well, HEEELLLLOOOOOOOOOO, Hotdawg :).

Stepping into t'Cap'n's shoes, are we...

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yeah-not. See ya next week for the prize draw.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Admin. Please delete my community account. I see others have been deleted and I would ike mine to be closed as I am no longer using it. Thank you.

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ten good plumbers layin in a bed
    then one good plumber accidently said
    roll over, roll over
    so they all rolled over and one fell out.
    nine good plumbers layin in a bed
    and so on..............:'(

10. I'm guessing that the Cap'n and GB are being sarcy?

A couple of years ago the residents of this forum carped and hectored SF about how pitiful their forum was. SF responded and brought it up-to-date. We then suffered howls of anguish from peeps who claimed it had lost its soul.

Now SF are clearly making a sincere attempt to address the forum users' needs by going straight to the source. They've got a cove/blone (delete as app) called Alex on the case, and - no I'm not suckering up - a pretty damn good job he/she is making of it too; clear & frank responses, a nice touch of personality (just enough to show they're human, but no attempt to try and falsely endear themselves to the peeps on here) - I think we should show some appreciation.

What form of misguided judgement has now made 2 of the 'regulars' call time on their membership? Of all the self-regarding, petulant, conniving things they could do. Pretty clear where their priorities lie.

And to ask for their contributed posts to be deleted?!!! Ohmygawd! Such arrogance! What's that about, eh? Either they consider their posts to be of such profundity that they want to keep it all for themselves - possibly to release it as a DIY self-help guide (watch out eBay...), or else perhaps they're slightly embarrassed by most of their contribution over the years and want all trace removed in case it comes back to bite them. (Oops - just noticed that GB didn't go that far )

Jeeeeez.

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

don't be unkind devs's, Its merely a reaction to Looch's account being withdrawn, the whole forum's in mouning, I can only see one solution, screwfix needs to start interviewing for a new Looch, perhaps a bit younger and a bit less venomous but keep the landrover driving,gin swiggin',Joan Collins attribute's, and all the plumbers 'll come back,

12. Mememe 2

Mememe 2 New Member

Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?

13. joinerjohn1

Well DA, I for one am sort of glad we now have a point of contact with SF (even though he/she remains faceless) At least we do have a response from SF, when in the past we had nowt of the sort. I'm still undecided about whatever changes SF are now going to bring about, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment. ;)

14. Mr. Handyandy

Here's a silly idea they could get rid of.

The leader board. What's the point of that? Who's to say that a member with 5000 posts is an expert, when 4999 of their posts could be(and most likely are) drivel.
    And points for correct answers for example? When the giver of the points is the OP that might not know if it's correct or not, after all, they ask the question because they don't know the correct answer.
    Dump it. It means nothing.
    Deleting other peoples' posts as well. That's not on. If one wishes to delete their own post, by all means allow it. Replace that post with a message saying it has been deleted. Leave other following posts alone, they are not belonging to the person wishing to delete his own post.
    They may be in reply, but they are not his/her posts to delete.
    Above all, have the software work as it should. In order, in time, in full, as one would expect.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. joinerjohn1

Totally agree Handy, The points system has and is open to abuse. Deleting one of your posts, should not automatically delete any/all replies to that post.
    Having said that Handy, Could be that the Jive Software is working as the makers intended it to??? Perhaps it was developed by a team of 6 yr olds at Primary school as a project in their spare time. ;)   (If I were head of IT at Screwfix, I'd send the Jive Software back to the developers and ask them for a refund. )

16. Mr. Handyandy

Well yeah - lthough deleting doesn't 'automatically' delete following posts, you have to choose to.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. screwfix.alex

screwfix.alex Administrator

Thank you all for your continued input on this thread (especially the concession that I may be human after all... I can only assume that you had visions of a Kryten like figure?)  

I understand your point about the leaderboard/points system being open to abuse. Modifying / removing / replacing it is a point that I'm considering, but I think that some sort of indication of the most active or authorative members is a useful thing? I'd appreciate your thoughts regarding an alternative.

I can also identify with your frustration about the shortcomings of the Jive software. However, one of its most significant advantages is that it does have a dedicated support facility, which I am now peppering with questions in order to fix some of the problems that you have raised. For example, the items not appearing in true chronological order under 'Recent Activity' turns out to be a bug in this version of the software. There is a fix, but it will involve an upgrade, the implications of which I'm waiting to hear back on.

Handyandy, the problem you identified about the delayed appearance of posts happened for me too, but seems to be intermittent. We may have to do a reindex of the content on the site, so there may be some downtime (probably for an hour or so in the middle of the night) on the way over the next few days.

On that note, if you spot any annoying problems, can you post the specifics in the 'Support' space, so that I can immediately forward them to Jive. They're very fussy about needing examples (understandably though), so do be as specific as possible.

18. Yeah, a bit unkind, Mr Plum. Negativity begets negativity :(.

Anyways, no-one is missing Looch more than me. I said, no-one. Y'wanna argue? Ok, I guess you do too...

I   can't accept the 'Looch thing' as an excuse, tho'. Either she (or her family) have asked for it to be removed - in which case, that's their business - or else SF have deleted it (which I think is extremely unlikely) in which case it is, unfortunately, their business. Until we find out, I'm giving SF the benefit of t'doubt. And won't leave until then. (Surely Looch would have popped in to say 'bye'?)

There's a lot of blaming of SF for the flaws in this forum, but really it just comes down to the quality of the posters. And that's down to us. And with the Cap'n and GB threatening to leave, that's only gonna make it   worse. That's their contribution...

19. joinerjohn1

Alex, as far as the leaderboard/points system is concerned, I'd just point out, that there's nothing wrong with a simple "posts" counter. There's absolutely no need for the points system SF seem to favour. ;)

20. Cli

Cli New Member

Don't listen to him Alex, I like the leaderboard and hope to soon become numero una with my interesting posts.

#I'mgreat