Changing a TRV.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Combo, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Combo

Combo Member

Got a radiator TRV which isn't working properly, ie doesn't shut off so reckon I need to change it. Can I do this without draining the whole system?

System is powered by a combi, all system on one floor level.
    If I drain down the radiator where I'm going to replace the TRV, both valves shut by breaking the joint between TRV and rad.
    Then shut off all rad valves to keep the water trapped in the other radiators then I'll only have a smallish head of water in the boiler and pipes.

Is it feasible to do a "quick change", one TRV off, next one on, whilst allowing water out onto lots of towels on the floor ?

Pipe freezing doesn't look possible as there is only 3" of pipe (10mm) above floor to TRV.

For loss of water from one 600 mm x 600 mm double rad, plus a bit from the boiler / pipes do I need to add more inhibitor, ie another whole bottle full?

2. Walterfilter

Walterfilter New Member

If you do as you say, close all rad valves both lockshield and wheelhead/trv plus close off the boiler flow and return (screwdriver), on the lockshields make a note of how many turns to close so you can re-balance, crack the union on the trv to the rad and crack the union on the trv to pipe,towels around the pipe...remove the trv from the rad and stuff a rag inthe hole to keep the water in the rad...whip off the trv and replace, you can probably re-use the nut and olive otherwise you would need a pair of olive crackers for a quick job... should be ok with very little water loss and no need for more inhibitor..