Changing dimmer to use with LEDS

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scottank, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Scottank

Scottank New Member

I've got 2 dimmer switches in my office. They each have three incandescent bayonet bulbs running off them and are quite old - I'd guess about 10 years. Three questions:
    - Is it worth trying replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs to see if it works as is, or would that risk damaging something?
    - if I am replacing, can I just pick any trailing edge dimmer that looks decent quality? Copper finish might be nice to match with other stuff, but that's no big deal...
    - One of the screws on a switch seems stuck - I can't unscrew it from the wall. I can't think of any better option then pull the screw out with pliars when I have the replacement switch (with power off, of course!) and patch any damage to the wall afterwards. Any better suggestions would be great though.

Thanks!

2. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Best dimmer for LEDs is the Varilight V-PRO. Sold by Screwfix and others.

Hard to match a copper colour. Keep the old plates, buy a 2-gang one and swop the dimmer modules. CLICK

given the travel restrictions, may be easier to leave this until the panic has passed.

3. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

I have found using any electronic light control which does not use a neutral with LED lights is rather hit and miss, in my case not dimmers, a simple wifi connected on/off switch, wife's room with G9 bulbs it pulses, but not all the time, so one thinks cured, then next day starts again, my room GU10 also pulsed swapped bulbs with those from kitchen and in the main OK, on the odd day it will pulse, three other rooms with BA22d and E14 bulbs works A1.

Odd the G9 are sold as dimmable, the E14 are not dimmable but E14 work OK. We use wifi switches as no two way switching in the rooms, and it is only way to turn on/off from bed, down stairs we can turn on lights from car so we can see our way to house, i.e. there is a need for remote switching, but in an office is there a need to dim lights, if not use simple switch.

As @Bazza says once travel restrictions lifted.

4. Scottank

Scottank New Member

Thanks! Point taken about waiting - I can get parts delivered fine, but it would be rather tricky if I mess things up and need professional help! Wortht trying using LEDs with the dimmer in the meantime, or might that do damage?

The light fittings and dimmer here are weird for an office (the room wasn't designed as one). With these fittings a dimmer is useful, though, and changing/removing 5 fittings is more work than changing a switch!