Changing gas pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Danielle93, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Hi there,

I have an outdoor "shed" (more of a cupboard on the front of my house, it's where my gas and electric meter are located. Its about a meter squared and the gas meter is on the opposite wall to the house. Whoever has installed the gas meter has put the gas pipe directly across the middle of the shed diagnolly across it, making it impossible to put a shelving unit in there, pretty much making the shed redundant apart from the small amount of floor space (which is half angled anyway). I had the gas engineer look at it when he fitted my gas hob and he said that when I get my smart meter installed they should sort out the shoddy pipework. However my supplier isnt rolling out smart meters until 2020! Id really like to get this sorted out and actually use this space as all my tools and paint cans are currently in the living room! Any idea how much something like this would cost?

2. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Post a pic of the shed/cupboard and your living room with tools and paint.

PhilSo

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

This really depends on what gas pipe it is.
    Is it the mains pipe or the exit pipe?

4. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

There was a time.

I might have replied to you.

:cool:

PhilSo

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018
  5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If the pipe is your side of the meter then any Gas safe fitter can alter the pipework, sounds like it shouldn't be more than a hours work.

6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

doubt the smart meter installer will do more than just exchange the meter and a couple of washers.

Why not post a photo of the offending pipes ;)

7. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Your gas meter will have a control valve attached to or very close to it. This is the handle you turn (normally pull down) to shut all the gas to your property off. This valve will be between the gas suppliers system and your meter, i.e. it is before your meter in terms of gas flow. If the pipe you want moved is attached to this valve, then you will need the gas supplier to move it, and expect to pay a good deal of money. If the pipe is connected to the non-valve side of the meter then any Gas Safe Registered engineer can move it, subject t maintaining adequate flow to your gas appliances, and it is likely to cost a good deal less. As others have said, it is very doubtful if smart meter installers will move it.

8. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

They are more likely to leave the pipe, but with nothing working.

OP: A picture paints a thousand words.