Changing Light Fixture

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by xtal, Aug 27, 2020.

1. xtal

xtal New Member

Hi,

Just trying to change a light fixture out for a new flush mounted light in my kitchen. At the moment there's a light holding three GU10 bulbs which is wired like this:

[​IMG]

The light I'm replacing this with only has a terminal connector for Live and Neutral which I haven't seen before (in my admittedly limited experience):

[​IMG]

However it does include a small earth cable which the instructions say to connect to the side of the (metal) casing:

[​IMG]

Just wanted to check if I'm right in thinking I need to unscrew the above screw and attach the earth from the ceiling to the earth screw/cable here? Do I need to do anything extra or is wrapping it around the screw enough?

Also just to confirm I'm all good to disconnect the cables from the existing light and connect these cables into the new terminals?

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

You’ve got it pretty much spot on. Just make sure none of the inner copper is visible outside the terminals (unlike the current connection). If the new fitting is metal, you need to connect the end of the earth fly lead with the brass ring to the metal case.

Edit: clearly make sure you’ve isolated the circuit that light is connected to and confirm it’s dead before working on it!

xtal likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep the earth tag with shiny silver screw in picture, the earth from ceiling wraps around screw, inside the upturned sides and wrap wire in same direction as screw tightens

Earth should be trapped under screw head and confined by the upturned brass edges, ensure screw is in contact with wire core and not plastic sleeve

Ring tag on other end connects to fitting with screw/bolt as hopefully provided

That way, both light fitting and mounting plate is earthed

xtal and koolpc like this.
  4. xtal

xtal New Member

Great stuff, thanks for your help!

5. xtal

xtal New Member

So just to confirm, earth cable attaches underneath screw but on top of the brass plate? or does it go underneath the brass plate?

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Can you show pics of full view of the fitting / components.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok, slacken off screw but no need to remove

Feed earth under screw head, form an open loop and pass back under screw head, the raised edges of the brass terminal contain the wire under screw head

Wrap around screw the way screw tightens - clockwise - otherwise as you tighten screw, it pushes out wire, and tighten

So on top of brass plate ,,,, yes

Some peeps would just poke wire under one side of screw head, ok I guess (?) but you want to have good contact between fitting and earth

Without a test meter you have no way of knowing this other than a visual inspection

That’s it really

ElecCEng and xtal like this.
  8. xtal

xtal New Member

Amazing, thanks very much!

DIYDave. likes this.
  9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It would have been far easier (and better) to have cut the eye off the earth attached to the base plate and wired it in to a separate connector block with the cpc off the cable brought through the hole in the base of the fitting. Similar to the original fitting.

Deleted member 25896 likes this.