Changing lock on PVC door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by graham3232, Dec 10, 2003.

1. graham3232

graham3232 New Member

How easy is it to chnage, its a euro type one but operates a three point locking system, does the internal handle unscrew and the lock barrel just change over?

Thought I'd ask in case I take it out and can't get it back!

2. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Gibbons have been trained to do this task -

Step 1 Get new lock
    Step 2 drive screw in old lock
    Step 3 whack out old lock
    Step 3 put in new lock

Save money get a five year old to do it for sweeties

Charlie

3. RH

RH New Member

If you look at the side of the door around the level of the lock you should see a screw. Take it out and the barrel should just slide out.

REverse the process to fit ;)

4. Jack

Jack New Member

Caution: There are a variety of different barrel lengths available.
    Measure your existing one first...

5. WOLF

WOLF New Member

there can also be an off set to the euro barrel. (i.e. more barrel one side or other of the screw thread) so please check this first, as well as the overall length of the barrel

6. Abe

Abe New Member

One important point missed from ealier posts is that you will need to put the key in and turn about 30 degrees (one way or the other - just try by feel) while extracting. This is because the actuating lever sticks out slightly when in a position where the key can be removed. I assume this is a deliberate security measure, as it means that you need the key to be able to change the lock.

7. WOLF

WOLF New Member

EXACTLY--:)

8. Markybob

Markybob New Member

If the retaining screw is not obvious it may be concealed by the lock forend plate, remove this and the screw will be hiding beneath

But as above, a doddle 2 minute job. (with the correctly selected barrel)