Changing radiator valve, upstair..

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Franck, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Franck

Franck New Member

Hi,
    I need to change the radiator valve for the bathroom radiator ( upstairs) as it seems to be leaking...
    Do i need to fully drained the system or could I get away with just emptying half of it, ie just draining the upstair part of the house and leaving water in the bottom part..( I hope it makes sense!!!).
    Also could I fit a TRV radiator valve or just a normal one?? Currently the bathroom and the landing one ( all upstairs) are the only 2 radiators not fitted with TRV valve.
    Thanks for looking and for your answers,
    Franck.

2. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

Frank,

If you turn off the upstairs radiators you dont want to work on, then just drain until the water level has dropped beneath the 2 you want to work on. One of the radiators may not have a TRV as it was used as a bypass for the boiler probably the bathroom one, the other one on the landing can be changed just make sure the thermostat ( the one on the wall, if you have one isnt nearby)just so its not competing with the trv you put on the landing rad, the thermostat if you have one installed is probably downstairs so should be ok but there are some weird installations about
    HTH

3. Aquarius

Aquarius New Member

If its a combi type pressurized system just crack the joint untill the water stops flowing and then change, then refil the combi via fill loop. if its vented, put a bung in the feed pipe and expansion pipe in the f/e tank.then crack a joint at the leaky valve until flow stops, replace valve and then remove bungs.

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

And post the results on youtube Not recommended for the DIYer - drain down.