Changing switched FCUs to grid switches

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by k52, Nov 18, 2009.

1. k52

k52 New Member

Hi folks, I have 3 FCUs in a row in the kitchen and am thinking of replacing with grid switches or altering the array.

1 switched FCU is a spur off the kitchen power ring and controls the cooker hood.

(Replace with grid 20a DP switch + fuse ?).

1 switched FCU simply connects mains lighting feed cable(switched from doorway 3gang)to worktop lighting flex tails.

(I know it might be handy to be able to 'isolate' the worktop lights for bulb-changing, cleaning etc. but would a grid 20a DP switch do instead ? Or just a connector block, even ?).

Finally, 1 switched FCU+neon supplies the combi-boiler via a fly-lead. The unit is wired radially to 6a MCB (protected side)via 2.5mm TW/E.

Would a grid 20a DP switch+neon be OK or is a fuse necessary ?

Many thanks, k52

2. 1361

1361 New Member

Not sure if you are planning to install a single 3-gang plate/box for the 3 switches. This would not be advisable as you would have more then one circuit in there.

3. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

Not sure if you are planning to install a single 3-gang plate/box for the 3 switches. This would not be advisable as you would have more then one circuit in there.

Err, so what?

4. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

1 switched FCU is a spur off the kitchen power ring and controls the cooker hood.

(Replace with grid 20a DP switch + fuse ?).
    yes

Finally, 1 switched FCU+neon supplies the combi-boiler via a fly-lead. The unit is wired radially to 6a MCB (protected side)via 2.5mm TW/E.

Would a grid 20a DP switch+neon be OK or is a fuse necessary ?
    no, yes

5. k52

k52 New Member

necessary ?[/i] no, yes

Hi, could you explain your reasoning, please ?

Thanks, k52

6. k52

k52 New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. I thought that one of the advantages of the grid system was that you could have more than one circuit in there...

I could be mistaken, of course !

k52

7. k52

k52 New Member

Sorry pc, I have re-read your reply -you mean grid 20A DP + fuse (neon optional) ?

Thanks k52

8. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

You asked two questions in one

Would a grid 20a DP switch+neon be OK no

and

is a fuse necessary ? yes (3 amp max)

9. k52

k52 New Member

is a fuse necessary ? yes (3 amp max)