Changing Switches and Sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by darrencoutts118, Aug 14, 2020.

1. darrencoutts118

darrencoutts118 New Member

Hi All,

I am embarking on a project this weekend to change some of the light switches and socket faceplates in my flat. Its been a few years since I have done this (in a previous flat), so just wanted to "consult a qualified electrician" before starting.

I have bought some BG Nexus sockets and switches - I have read some mixed reviews online, but as far as I can tell it's down to brand loyalty with people not liking them. Anything concrete against them?

I need to add some earth leads between the (metal) backboxes and the new metal faceplates (I have some 1.5mm2 for that).

Also have treated myself to a new multimeter and socket tester to make sure everything is wired up correctly.

Planning to isolate at the main switch in the CU, I have heard some horror stories of shocks from Neutral to Earth.

Anything else I need to buy or think about - don't want to get started to then have to nip out for more stuff.

ps - should also say that an EICR was done a few years ago, and no other electrical work has been done since then.

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

No just make sure you have isolated the circuit and test it before you start work also before you start the sockets plug your tester in to them to confirm that the live, neutral and earth are connected in the correct order then if they show up a fault after you've done the work you know its something youve done by mistake and it will save hassle later on when you retest them after the work..

darrencoutts118 likes this.
  3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

And make sure you have a screwdriver that is a good fit for the terminal screws. Makes it a lot easier and less chance of damaging the heads.

I will also suggest photographing the switches before disconnection and even marking the cables especially with two/multi way and multi gang - you then have a reference.

Familiarise yourself with te marking on old and new too. Some may be marked C/Com, L1, L2 others, L1, L2, L3, Com, Out1, Out2 &c

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your stripping out the earth core (CPC) from Twin & Earth to use as the fly lead from faceplate to back box then you will also need earth sleeving

Whilst isolated at the CU, make sure that anyone else in the property knows this as well and to not touch the CU under any circumstance

Sounds 'far fetched' but not impossible that a teenager or partner discovers there's no power and checks CU, discovers either main switch or individual MCB is in off position and flicks back on :eek: - forgetting that you've got your hands inside a socket

These simple devices are good and an added safety measure, with 2 sons in the house that are both gadget and power hungry, I've used these numerous times for added peace of mind

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CPA10.html

stevie22 likes this.