Chasing water pipes into uninsulated external brick wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andrew Stott, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Andrew Stott

Andrew Stott New Member

DIYer renovating the bathroom in a 1950s semi and looking to relocate the sink and install it on a floating countertop. New location is on an external uninsulated brick wall. Is it possible to chase water pipes into the wall in this case? My main concern would be freezing pipes in winter. Would pipe insulation be adequate in this case?
    Thanks

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There are restrictions on how deep you can chase walls and adding insulation to your pipe will severely challenge this I imagine - ⅓ of wall for vertical chases and ⅙ for horizontal.

Could you batten out the wall and conceal the pipes that way?

sparky steve likes this.
  3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Removal of material from a wall for the installation of services could possibly weaken the wall if too much material is removed. Therefore i would consider @WillyEckerslike suggestion of battening out the wall.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Batterning the wall will allow for the installation of some insulation which will make the room warmer and reduce heating costs as well.