Cheap plugs with plastic pins on work tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Sep 23, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I can understand why manufacturers fit cheap three pin plugs with plastic pins on home appliances to keep the costs down. But why do the same with some of my high end tools from Bosch and Festool?
    They have the same plastic earth pins with live and neutral having metal tips on plastic stems.

When you're spending close to a thousand pounds on a tool, having a key operational and safety component made so cheaply is rely frustrating. Today the pin on my Festool battery charger snapped so it was a rummage around to find a spare.

upload_2018-9-23_23-17-21.png

2. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Superglue it back on!

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Snip it off and install a good quality one ... job done for the rest of the tool's life.
    Agree though that it's pretty petty of them pennypinching like that.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That's what wasted an hour this morning, half a dozen tools and chargers with bent and snapped pins had their plugs changed. The annoying thing is that even at SF prices its only £1.65 for a "tough plug" so as you say why "penny pinch" when you are spending nearly a £1,000 on a power tool

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

When it's just a plug and the carppy plastic earth pin snaps off, that's bad ... but far worse is when the plug itself contains some fancy electronics, like the ones for my rechargeable LED site floodlamps. I've now tried dozens of different ways of reinstating their pins, all of which fail. Next step is to build the electronics into a little black box and just put a regular UK plug on a flex that feeds into the little black box.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never come across those type of plugs before - some sort of H&S thing to stop tampering ?

Festool just emailed me to say they are sending a new cable FOC which would normally be £22

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most of my 240v tools, I've snipped off the 3 pin plug & fitted the blue 16A industrial plugs, a lot more rugged.
    And I have a couple of GEWISS 3 Way Multiple Socket Out (Splitter), 2P+E, 16A,/32A 230V,cheap off Ebay.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've had to change the plug on all my Festool gear at some point.

9. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

230v is DIY range, just saying :p

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, get most of my Festool stuff in Lidl's

KIAB likes this.
  11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Didn't know Festool was made in China :D

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some of it has been in the past, do not know if any things still are made there.

13. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Wha? Batteries... Never mind
    That's serious shocker! I though of making a joke...:eek:

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Its like my Bosch appliances - made in Turkey, a country not renowned for its quality but apparently in the top 10 manufacturing countries in the world.

Not sure where the power tools are made

15. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

LIDLs, from now on...(for tools)

Appliances- I used to pay attention to make in the past, not anymore.

Really activated my almonds, me still somewhat being a "label slave" :(

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was thinking earlier if Aldi/Lidl made an own brand "Domino" machine, what that would do to the industries perception ?

17. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Did it 'just' snap during normal use or did you stand on it?
    Drop something heavy on it?
    I've been using power tools/appliances, etc with plugs like that for many years and never had a problem.

You ham fisted @$#, you.:p

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Mixture of everything :)
    mystified by the Festool 18v plug failing as all the charges are together on the bench and they aren't taken out. It has a nice new "tough plug"

19. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

All the other plugs are now pooing themselves.
    Festool; "I'm the daddy now, you plugs".

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

"Where's your tool?"
    "What tool?"
    "This Festool!"

longboat likes this.