Cheap plugs with plastic pins on work tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Sep 23, 2018.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Back on the topic.
    Plugs and sockets (yellow) are more robust, better suited for professional use ;)
    And yes transformers are pain, if power isn't supplied, but I use mine in a workshop too, where their most hand power tools are 110

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well good for you, what would you say about 16A and 32A 230V connectors, are they unprofessional?

3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

They are "regulated" to usage with RCD's and no extension are allowed.
    Not talking about the law, but from practical perspective, I had few jolts from both and difference is massive. 110 will give you a jolt, but not the spasm (locking up muscles) 230 does, so let's say somebody had an extension on a wet floor, step in a puddle - you'll feel the difference.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Everything you have said tonight is utter rubbish and only your own uninformed opinion.

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Not doing your "carma" no favours yourself either ;)

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If that’s the case, why do almost all tool manufacturers offer their wares in a 110v and a 230v version of the exact same tool? Is a 230v Festool TS55 a diy tool?

8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

110v for professionals
    230v for DIY...
    Will get back 2morrow eve lads, I'm off to bed ;)

9. joinerjohn1

What a load of dogs danglies. Just answer the question. Do you consider the 230v Festool TS55 plunge saw a diy tool ? ( if so , I suggest you contact Festool directly and ask them)

10. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Festool is proffessional, plug is DIY

11. joinerjohn1

Not the correct answer I’m afraid. Tell me, what plug does your 110v transformer have on it ? Is it a fully professional 110v transformer or is it a diy transformer ? ( I think it might just be the latter, so you have professional tools plugged into a diy transformer. You should be banned of site forthwith )

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  12. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

I needed it, now I look like madman laughing out loud in a bed, curse you, ruining my sleep and don't have a stroke just yet, we'll have some more tomorrow?

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  13. joinerjohn1

I’m sure we will Alvin. I’m sure we will. When you’ve answered the conundrum of having a transformer ( obviously diy standard) which plugs into 230v mains electric so you can use your “ professional” tools, we will resume the conversation. :p:p:p

longboat and KIAB like this.
  14. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Seems you have caught up ...:p
    Still as an option there are blue industrial plugs and sockets, be those in 230v (DIY range) :D

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'll weigh in, there's absolutely nothing wrong, unprofessional, amateurish, cowboyish or dangerous about using 230/40 power tools in the average working environment (obviously not in pouring rain, and preferably used with a breaker.) To suggest using only 110v gear is what proper tradesmen use is completely ridiculous.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

DIY 230v plugs do break under proffessional usage is the issue I'm questioning

17. joinerjohn1

No, you stated that 230v tools were only for diy ' ers .

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What I use on my 230v tools,unbreakable in normal use,plus you can't bend pins like on a 3 pinplug.
    As I said earlier, I snipped off the 3 pin plugs & replaced with the blue industrial plugs on my 230v tools.:)

AlvyChippy likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Even if you change all your leads to yellow or blue in the end you plug them into a 3 pin domestic socket because that's what you have in most situations.

20. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Ooooops, my bad, I got figured out:confused:
    :D