Cheap PVC plugs making the rounds again at Screwfix

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fire, Dec 20, 2018.

1. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Oh dear, Screwfix trying hard to keep the profits up and cutting corners with bad plastic plugs sold under the Diall brand name. Very few ever think about the fact that a fuse will get hot if not overloaded enough to disconnect but the over current condition occurs above it's rated value.

It might be cheap and it might be fine for the most part in certain situations but come on is increasing the risk of this really worth the saving?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-13a-fused-plug-white/5751h?activeTab=rr

pvcplug1.jpe

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well what's the back story to this? Did some one wrap silver foil around the fuse? Is that your plug? Why would anyone use a plug for a load above it's rated value?

3. fire

fire Well-Known Member

There is no back story to my post, this is what happens when an appliance develops a fault and pulls more than the fuses rating but not enough to actually cause it to go open circuit, no foil on fuse, just a standard 13Amp fuse.
    I needed a plug to do a job and this is the type of plug sold from Screwfix the other day.

Used it temporarily until i could source a better plug the next day.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I really don't get the point your trying to make. If the appliance has gone faulty it's hardly the plugs fault it melted.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I think the OP is just trying to plug something :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

He won't get any good leads on here

7. fire

fire Well-Known Member

well a quality plug would not melt like this and avoid setting the house on fire yet a plug in cheap plastic housing would.

I am surprised you could not see that...

Never mind, i sourced a better plug already, better safe than sorry and of course it is not the plugs fault but a house fire could have been prevented if the materials the plug was made from did not melt and combust.

Just raising awareness.

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

You should make a video of this and put in on youtube with the title "Just Warning", which is shortened to JW...

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Used these for last 35 years on everything which takes a load.
    Never had a failure.
    MK646.JPG
    RS

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Screwfix sell a lot of naff tat, you learn what to stay well away from.

KIAB likes this.
  11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

If you look at most plugtops - both sealed and screwed - which come already fitted to leccy appliances these days, they appear to me to be all thermoplastic; they have that 'soft' feel to them. Ergo I would assume they'd all melt given an overheating internal bit like that.

I doubt they'd actually combust, tho' - I'd hope they'd all be made of non-whatsit stuff, tho' I don't know. Mind you, not happy about the terminals inside being exposed like that.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's called a plug RS, well done you :):)

13. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Specifically an MK plug top. I would also agree with RS, that I’ve never had a problem with them as they seem to be better quality.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I expected nothing more.

15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I've never had a problem with any plug, so I'm afraid I cannot contribute any evidence to the superiority of the MK model.

However, the presumed superiority of RS as a human being is in no doubt.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And Magic is backing him up so that's always a mark of quality.

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Presuming plugs are made to the required BS, I can't see a problem what ever you buy.

18. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Lots of things are made to the same British Standards. That doesn't mean that the quality is identical.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just when you think you have run out of idiots Thicky Dicky turns up o_Oo_O

20. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I am highly intelligent but it's flattering that you have missed me.