Checking current to electric shower

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jon83, Aug 23, 2022.

  1. Jon83

    Jon83 New Member

    I have a 9Kw electric shower which has just stopped working (after I had switched it off at the consumer unit, don't know if that's just a coincidence).

    The light on the pull switch is also not coming on and I want to check whether the issue is with the connection/switch or with the shower. The light that's not coming on may just have blown.

    I wanted to ask whether it is possible/safe to check the current at the pull switch with a multimeter. Want to be sure because of the high currents involved.

    I'd be grateful for any advice
     
  2. Ind spark

    Ind spark Screwfix Select

    Why did you switch it off?
     
  3. Jon83

    Jon83 New Member

    There are two electric showers upstairs, and I had to replace one. The consumer unit didn't indicate which was which so I just turned both off.
     
  4. Ind spark

    Ind spark Screwfix Select

    When you replaced it you might of touched some wires together and tripped the rcd by mistake (it can trip when neutral and earth touch), double check the consumer unit.
     
  5. Jon83

    Jon83 New Member

    Have checked it - everything is on at the consumer unit, nothing tripped
     
  6. Ind spark

    Ind spark Screwfix Select

    You can check with a multimeter but I'm not gonna advise you on this I got In trouble last time I did that.
    You can check safely with a volt stick if you have one but never rely on it to prove dead.

    Someone will probably be along soon with a better solution maybe, otherwise you might need a sparky.
     
  7. Jon83

    Jon83 New Member

    OK, cheers Ind spark
     
  8. Ind spark

    Ind spark Screwfix Select

    Bit of a long shot as you have 2 x electric showers you dont have a priority board anywhere do you that would stop them both working together?

    If you switch the shower that works off maybe the other will work?
     
  9. Jon83

    Jon83 New Member

    No, they're just separate circuits on the consumer unit. Tried switching the new one off but the old one still doesn't work. I think it must have just given up the ghost coincidentally at the same time I replaced the other one
     
  10. Bazza

    Bazza Screwfix Select

    Nah. You've done something wrong.
    Test meter, check voltages.
     
    Ind spark and WillyEckerslike like this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice