Chimney breast gone astray!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Neosparks, May 24, 2006.

1. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

Cut a hole in the ceiling where once was none, and discovered what seems to be a bit of a temp solution that lasted 20 years!
    An thoughts / opinions on what to do, if anything? I was thinking maybe just replace the iffy spacers with solid wood. Thanks for having a look.

http://chimneynightmare.blogspot.com/

2. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Oh dear!

Cant quite make it out fully - eyes must be going

Is it brickwork onto steel plate (3" wide) spanning onto steel 'T' sections. T sections built into gable wall and sitting on single brick sitting on steel beam.

If so the plate just shouldnt span that distance with that load. Dont now why they used T sections.

I wouldnt touch it myself - but wouldnt do nothing either. Have you got kid living under this!

The idea is right but all the sections used are just not man enough.

Dont prop steel off steel with timber either

Good luck but i'd get that looked at pretty sharpish
    Cheers - jonah

3. cheltonian

cheltonian New Member

This does need looking at by a professional. It is possible to put a support underneath with a steel gallows bracket, fixed to the wall supporting an I beam. The bracket will have to protrude into the room below.

Other option take the whole chimney down. Is that wall an external wall?

4. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

Quite right Jonah, t sections used with 3" plate. Luckily no kids at all!
    Brackets down into the room probably isn't an option, aesthetically speaking. The chimney is built into the party wall - the gable is to the side of the chimney.
    The spacers (also correct Jonah) probably shouldn't be compressible, thinking about it.
    The bit [of the chimney] that's left in the pic extends about 4 feet above the roof, so all in all there's about 100(?) bricks being supported. Do you think this minimal load makes a difference?
    I could take it down, though this leaves roofing to be done, and the budget for the refurb is just about up!
    I groaned when I saw it, cos it's one thing following another in my house!
    Maybe gallows brackets up the other way?

5. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Luckily no kids at all!

You're welcome to some of the little b****s that pollute my street.

6. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Have you tried picking up 100 bricks - not a minimal load and it doesnt take much to bend a 3" 12mm plate.

I think i would be tempted to talk to your local steel fabricators about making a frame.

The fram could be two lengths of section (same as the main big steel) running under the 'T' at the same level as the main steel with a plate both ends and bolt to wall and main steel. Then a new steel between these under the chimney brickwork again plate bolted. Then build up new brickwork to underside of what you have got.

Probably cost you a couple hundred if you do it yourself

Good luck neo

Cheers - jonah

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hmmm. I ain't no expert, but that brick is just a brick.

The T-bars(maybe 60mm) already looked stressed, and that brick could very easily break in half before I've finished typing(even if it has been there 20 years).

Looks like chimney removal time to me. Even if its just down to the roof and fix the roof. Then re-prop what's left inside(including something better than those T-bars).

Or chip away from the top in your own time to remove all of it.

Just my opinion.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Impossible to tell by this photo, but some chimneys were built with every other brick keyed into the wall and others just built up with cement as the key. I would not take any chances, get some advice maybe from building control or reputable builder. Personally I would remove it totally, and there's a lot of weight up there!

9. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

ah, the general consensus is strengthen or remove....aw 8ugger. Well, it wasn't too much of a shock. The chimney is keyed into the wall Astramax, though I think I'll go the renewal of supports route and leave it to the next owners to remove if they wish.
    Although I haven't has a crack at roofing yet..

10. mudhut

mudhut New Member

my fix would be diy gallows upside down, then hide it all.

if i was diy`ing it that is........

11. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

If it is a party wall is next doors half of the chimney not on the other side if so you can't take it down.
    This sort of bodged together support is common I have seen it in a lot of lofts On the plus side if the bricks are tied in it is not likely to go anywhere.
    It could be worse,I have seen bigger chimneys than that left without any supports at all

12. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

It is a party wall Yorkshireboy, and the chimney is joined to next doors.
    I spoke to an engineer yesterday, who seemed to think BC have the last say, but gallows apparently are no longer acceptable(?)
    The solution offered was 2 x C channels (turned in on each other, as a lightweight alternative) as a support, or a UB stretching from gable to nearest supporting wall, on padstones. That's the free advice, now it gets more expensive..